Author Topic: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread)  (Read 539221 times)

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
I'm of the opinion that one good/easyish way to generate more and more folk around here would be for the regularish folk with projects out there to add the Roguetemple somewhere on the splash screen or shortly thereafter.   This way all the many people that play the game somehow or another are guaranteed to at least have the existence of the Temple known to them---took even me quite awhile and blind stumbling to find the place in the months after I really got started.  Just one short line on a variety of projects and that should help things get more lively.

This is actually not a bad idea. It'd be easy to put in at the title screen or exit screen a little bit of text saying "Also, be sure to visit Temple of the Roguelike" or something. I might do this with my own game, even :)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
I'm of the opinion that one good/easyish way to generate more and more folk around here would be for the regularish folk with projects out there to add the Roguetemple somewhere on the splash screen or shortly thereafter.   This way all the many people that play the game somehow or another are guaranteed to at least have the existence of the Temple known to them---took even me quite awhile and blind stumbling to find the place in the months after I really got started.  Just one short line on a variety of projects and that should help things get more lively.

This is actually not a bad idea. It'd be easy to put in at the title screen or exit screen a little bit of text saying "Also, be sure to visit Temple of the Roguelike" or something. I might do this with my own game, even :)

Yep, just add the good old website address since it is pretty simple and that should suffice plenty.  Main thing is to get a variety of upcoming/active ones to start to incorporate it to where happening across one of them then has much better odds of leading them to others to enjoy than currently as well as here to discuss and plot whatever.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
To be honest; i would prefer a better layout for roguetemple, maybe even a cms - it looks so... so... don't know what it looks like, but not like a something which is worth to be visited regulary :-)

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Looks OK to me. If you mean the style, I think it was meant to simulate the classic ASCII feel of the roguelikes, and as for content, is there anything missing?

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Looks OK to me. If you mean the style, I think it was meant to simulate the classic ASCII feel of the roguelikes, and as for content, is there anything missing?

Media/videos/events!

(I have plans...)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Yay.... proper event handling (7 drl, irdc), maybe last 5 postings on main page, pictures, featured roguelike, updates. Maybe even links to downloads, homepages and so on...  I think these things should be moved from roguebasin in here, and roguebasin should stay dev only (just my opinion)

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
I think a lot of people including myself like the Rogue Temple's color scheme and general style (old ascii textish), but it would be nice to have the features of a content management system. Things like who's online, latest posts, user uploaded photos and so on are really nice. But I like the color scheme and style, I just wish we also had all the features :) . Also, this is completely offtopic in this thread, perhaps we should start another?

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Re: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
I just subscribed to the forum, and this seems the place to say "Hello!"

Long ago I was quite interested in roguelikes, some people might remember me from rec.games.roguelike.development. Lately I felt like peeking into the realm of roguelikes again and this place seemed good for a start :) A lot of ongoing projects as it seems, will be interesting to read about them, and also to try the one or other.

In regard to the color scheme, I like it, but it's a bit difficult to read for me at time. I'd mostly like a bigger font, and a bit less contrast between the background and text color. But it's very roguelike-ish, and looking good overall :)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
Lately I felt like peeking into the realm of roguelikes again and this place seemed good for a start :)

Welcome back :) Does this mean you will continue roguelike development? What I remember is that you burned out with H-World.. is it still existing?

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »
Welcome back :)

Thank you :)

H-World is still on Sourceforge, but it hasn't seen updates since years, I think. What made me come back was Iso-Angband. It's a working game already, I like to work with graphics, and some coding skills I think I could conserve. So I have some hope that I can continue with that, and maybe some day try a full game project again.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
Re: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread)
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
Welcome Hajo! Hope to see you around for a long time, would be cool if you participated on 2010's 7DRL Challenge, begin thinking about it :)!

RantingRodent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
I guess I should make a post here, didn't notice the thread before.

I'm a software developer, recently turned architect. My main introduction to Roguelikes was through Diablo, but I have been pulled into the non-commercial Roguelike scene through Dwarf Fortress.  I've tried to do something a little different there by doing a graphics set, rather than anything functional. I do have some limited art talent and I thought that was a good way to expand on them.

Pretty soon after, I got the urge to start working on my own Roguelike. I almost see it like a developer rite of passage. It amplifies some very important design problems and provides a space very different from commercial development to hone your skills. I am building my currently unnamed game using Actionscript 3.0.

Looking forward to hanging around here for a while.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread)
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Welcome and looking forward to whatever you've got cooking RantingRodent!  Keep the lot of us informed as informative bits come up.  8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
I've already been here for a while, but I don't think it's too late for a formal introduction.

I'm Bay12's Fenrir from the Dwarf Fortress forums. You might have heard of me if you've spent a long time there, but it's not likely.

Rogue was my first exposure to the genre, if you consider Rogue a roguelike. I can't think of a game more Rogue-like than Rogue. Anyway, I'm not really sure what order the games came after that. I think I learned about ADoM and Dwarf Fortress at roughly the same time, but my memory isn't that good. I discovered Dungeon Crawl, but I didn't touch Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup until someone informed me that it wasn't just a graphical version of DC, after which it became my favorite. Discovering this place and roguebasin has introduced me to some other cool games I enjoy playing, like SewerJacks, the only game with chainsaw-wielding Norwegian football-players on pogo-sticks.

I've made three or four ill-fated attempts at making a roguelike, so this project is mostly about proving to myself that I can do it, or, as fishersalwaysdie (yes, I know you're watching) put it, that I "don't suck anymore." My previous projects failed for lack of proper planning and the resulting sidetracking/loss of interest. My current project also suffers for that reason, but I'm making more progress than I ever have. I think I'm even approaching a point where I might release an alpha version to the public.

Numeron

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Numeron Reactor
Hello all, time to for me to finally invest in the rogue temple forums... I never realised the post frequency outstripped RGRD so much, Ive been missing out all this time. Ive been in the roguelike scene for a while now, mostly as a lurker, and I even remember the opening of this site... Ive competed in two 7RDLs (both successful), two <1KBRLs, and have a few failed projects under my belt.

My current project is RAIL, or Rogue Artificial Intelligence Like, a game centered on creating your own AI for your roguelike unit, and battling it against others in online arenas. Single player dungeon mode also available among otheres. So far the game is coming along awesomely: its structure and cleanliness of source is lording it all over everything Ive made that has come before...

Im trying currently to become more visible in the roguelike community to build brand recognition for me and my project, and this is a step in that process.

my blog: numeronreactor.blogspot.com
downloads: www.users.on.net/~rossn

-Numeron

On a side note, when signing up to the forums, I recieved an email telling me that my join request would be reviewed and a followup email sent to tell me that i could log in... i never received that email, i jsut tried logging in now after signing up a few weeks ago :( ohwell at least it worked ;)