Author Topic: Project: Roguelike Renaissance  (Read 174782 times)

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Roguelike Renaissance
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
Great work man, you're awesome.
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2009, 12:26:14 AM »
Great work man, you're awesome.

Thanks!  Good tidings always help me to keep keeping on.

Progress got a bit derailed today with my forgetting that I won't have a good recording environ tomorrow, old giant cat needed some cold weather spoiling today, and I wasn't feeling too well this afternoon----likely tied into the sudden dip down into the 40's-30's weather wise around here.

Thus:  I will try to be back at it full steam Monday....try to get an even earlier start to recoup this lost weekend.   :D
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 10:58:25 PM »
Got the V2 of my first voice pack squared away, and most of my Sound effects V1 pack seems to have rang true.  Hoped to manage more voice packs today but the environ got noisy and unruly---so yet again I hope to get a pace up tomorrow. Updated the OP with a concise blob as to all projects I've touched somehow or another up to now.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »
Upon a random thought, I took a gamble and tried to install the free demo verison of Scallywag: In the Lair of the Medusa this evening---it seems to work!  I now also find myself unduly amused with the main menu theme the game has as it is very reminiscent of the Tristram theme in Diablo---but still nicely different and briefer.  Should make for excellent playlist fodder for coding and such for Roguelike endeavors to come involving it, Torchlight, and others.   Should I think to/remember, I'll take a crack at one of the video capturing programs and put the main menu/credits screen up on my youtube channel as the first vid.

Also, died quickly in the demo even on the default medium difficulty as that is the only selectable on on it.   I still strongly recommend people give that a shot, the full game too, so I can have as big a base to test what I aim to do regarding it and/or Torchlight as things come together here.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
In hilarious irony, the new public release of JCRPG is up for download and hopefully to be enjoyed somewhat.  Irony being,  it turns out my PC is too old and weak to even make it past the main screen/manipulate said screen properly!   :D

Plan is to come up with the build to assemble for the new PC in the very near future, to have delivered somewhere in mid-December.

Edit:  Blast this day, now SomethingAwful is not allowing for viewing of threads to non-members again it seems.   I really do have to consider a membership somehow as the discussions and such prove to be very informative on stuff I simply don't run across, or not in a timely fashion, elsewhere.   Annoying damned policy though!   >:(

Edit:  I'll tell myself it is an investment for the future---can't fall behind now!   :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:02:06 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 04:02:34 AM »
Been in bad shape overall these past couple weeks, throwing progress off kilter which leaves me then in worse shape overall.   Trying to force and and snap things back along into a proper frenzy but so far it has been elusive and short lived at best before something in the background undermines the lot of it.   :(

A better environ and situation to apply myself within is a luxury I simply don't and won't likely have anytime soon though---so I'm stuck having to improvise.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »
I'm terribly sorry to hear that things aren't going well. Try to stay optimistic and let us know if there's anything the community can do to help!

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2009, 04:10:49 PM »
Will do.  For starters, better luck with PC mice in not-good situations as my new one got kinda broken last night amid the domestic strife.  For some reason, it now won't work right on a mousepad at my side anymore, incredibly laggy, but will work on my leg---which is kinda unwieldy to manage to say the least.   :(

Edit:  Somehow fixed the mouse, essentially, with an old pair of underwear.  Looks like this is going to be one of those weeks...   ??? :-\
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:18:27 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
Edit:  Somehow fixed the mouse, essentially, with an old pair of underwear.  Looks like this is going to be one of those weeks...   ??? :-\
Now I don't know if that's a story I want to hear or not - it certainly sounds interesting.
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »
Now I don't know if that's a story I want to hear or not - it certainly sounds interesting.

It doesn't make any sense.  Mouse stops working on mousepad despite nothing being amiss with said mousepad.   Thought it had pretty well broken totally until I randomly tried it on my sweatpants wearing leg...worked.  Then eventually thought, "maybe it is a surface thing somehow?"...and went looking for something that'd fit over it/arm of a chair  (I don't have a proper/good PC chair...have to make do with an old wicker rocking chair) yet smooth like the sweatpants.   Pair of briefs from years back was the first thing I found and it worked.  Why the mouse got damaged in such a way that it won't work on the intended surface it was designed for but WILL on this...   ???
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Numeron

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Numeron Reactor
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
One of those weeks indeed, lol. Underpants hahah (im so mature)

Is your mouse a laser or one of those old ball ones?

The old ball ones often dont work for usually fairly obvious mechanical reasons, and the laser ones have a habit of not working on very very smooth surfaces because of the way the laser reflects. if you're mousepad is plastic and not rubber/felt then that might be the reason :)

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2009, 10:57:53 PM »
Tis one of those translucent plastic laser ones.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:41 AM »
Also, looks like I'm not quite licked for a bit on jCRPG, a certain bat file allows me to run the game, and upon doing so briefly...there are many non-creative bits I should be able to help on afterall once things get caught up otherwise and meanwhile.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2009, 02:01:04 AM »
Right, as it looks like tomorrow morning/afternoon will have me fully caught up again.

1. Help out semi-playtesting but mainly touching up the English text in jCRPG.  Possibly see about figuring out musical composition for one particular piece  (will be a big deal when this happens as it'd be my first composition)

2. See what's what in S.C.O.U.R.G.E. at long last assuming I can find some folk around it team wise to clue me in as the main page hasn't updated in quite awhile.  Quite possibly the usual Miscellaneous helpings as I've done for KoTC, prolly jCRPG, and so on---but WOULD like to take the specific oppourtunity to learn a bit of scripting via it(Squirrel) before programming proper similar to how I aim to go from figuring out the gist of voice acting to musical composition.

3.  In theory, beta helping for a project or so could begin sometime soonish...if it does above bits will either be hustled, gotten back to, or perhaps still done in parallel depending on how things shake out.

4.  Somewhere in and about all of this, giving a deeper look to the Livening Roguetemple ideas so far and seeing what will be the fastest bits to knock out and going from there---perhaps finally getting around to a Roguetemple Youtube channel and so on.  I'm not sure how my old PC here would do for video capturing for clips and such, but I'll see if a little bit can be gotten to.  Odds are I'll set up another topic for people to converge upon to work out how the channel will be structured and who'll be on it and such.

Of course, we'll see if any random bits pop up outta nowhere that derail/enhance/??? any and all of the above.

All in all, I turn 25 in 13 days and will, hopefully successfully, retire this old PC a couple weeks past that.  As such, I'd like to get some more accomplishments hammered out successfully and seeds planted on bits that'll take awhile by the time I'm a bit older and in the modern computing age.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
Modern computing age = A bunch of turbines in a case, making noise like a starting airplane.

I went back to an about 5 year old PC, which has mostly passively cooled components and is fairly silent. In between I had been using a more powerful, but also quite noisy box, since some game that I wanted to play needed that.

I really want silent PCs again. Unfortunately those cost a fortune nowadays, if one wants up-to-date components at the same time..

Just telling, that your step into a"modern computing age" can be a noisy one if you don't take care ;)

But good luck, and I hope you can enjoy your new PC!