Author Topic: The Ultimate Roguelike Tileset  (Read 22410 times)

requerent

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Roguelike Tileset
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
... You don't care about an exclusive font, right?  ...

Spent about eight hours over two days this week looking for an exclusive font, but it's so hard to tell if it would look good in-game before you buy them I'm still with the generic crowd

Yea- there are hundreds of awesome UTF fonts- like those native american ones, but it's hard to tell if they'd just be confusing or not.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:50:18 AM »
Spent about eight hours over two days this week looking for an exclusive font

What is the point? Usually those funny "exclusive" fonts suck. In fonts the best ones are possibly already invented.

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
I still think straight ascii looks better, and I don't particularly like this aesthetic, but it's an easy-to-implement compromise if you want a "tile" option for people who won't play ascii.

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
I like this tileset. In general, I like the monochrome tilesets, but so many roguelikes use tilesets these days that I'd really like to see more traditional ascii based roguelikes. (full disclosure; I'm the guiltiest of all about this, but my next roguelike will use ascii, I swear) The monochrome tilesets I like because they're kindof half way between ascii and a real tileset.

I agree that exclusive tilesets are a cool thing to have, but roguelikes were founded on the ultimate non-exclusive tileset, ascii. All the classic roguelikes used essentially an identical tileset, so exclusive tilesets while nice are not always necessary.

Anyway, great tileset oryx, and a good price, though it'd be great if one day you released it for free. I'm not saying soon, but some day, eventually.