Author Topic: AURO Gameplay footage (alpha)  (Read 11960 times)

keithburgun

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
AURO Gameplay footage (alpha)
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »
Hey guys!  I just posted a video of some early AURO alpha footage.  What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nHeE7Ye-wo

Alex E

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AURO Gameplay footage (alpha)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
It looks great! The graphics are nice and the combinations of different abilities looks fun. I haven't played a roguelike like this before so I'm interested to see where it goes.

keithburgun

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:15:13 AM »
Thanks!  It's worth noting that the game has a lot of UnRogueLike qualities, such as:

No randomness in gameplay - there's no D&D style To-Hit% type things.

No items (other than scrolls which are just one-shot use abilities)

No equipment

No "exploration" really, or fog of war, or minimap

No complicated D&Dish stats systems

The game is very much a non-random strategy game, that's randomly generated and score based.  More like Tetris in a lot of ways than ROGUE.

Nachtfischer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Nachtfischers Subkultur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

You may already have though about that, but: The points the player gets through taking less turns seem pretty unclear to me. There's no indication of how many turns you took on the current floor or how many you are "allowed" to take (to still get points for it). Is that intentional or are you planning/willing to make that clearer?
Nachtfischers Subkultur (German Indie Games/Music Blog)

st33d

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
Looking interesting as well as pretty slick.

Will there be any environmental features to the maps? (I guess I mean ice or flame patches that aren't just from skill usage - or perhaps you may have some other ideas.)

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Thanks!  It's worth noting that the game has a lot of UnRogueLike qualities, such as:

No equipment

The game is very much a non-random strategy game, that's randomly generated and score based.  More like Tetris in a lot of ways than ROGUE.

None of these are specifically roguelike qualities in my book, and many roguelikes (including several of my own) have all of these features stripped out.

I think it looks great, by the way.  The possible combinations of abilities seems very compelling.

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
Thanks!  It's worth noting that the game has a lot of UnRogueLike qualities, such as:

No equipment

The game is very much a non-random strategy game, that's randomly generated and score based.  More like Tetris in a lot of ways than ROGUE.

None of these are specifically roguelike qualities in my book, and many roguelikes (including several of my own) have all of these features stripped out.

I think it looks great, by the way.  The possible combinations of abilities seems very compelling.

I think the "No randomness in gameplay" is the only important point there, as this leans towards the puzzle genre.  Sometimes I think it is kind of sad that you can define roguelikes as puzzles where strategy is removed in favor of chance :P

Nachtfischer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Nachtfischers Subkultur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »

No equipment

I think the "No randomness in gameplay" is the only important point there, as this leans towards the puzzle genre. 
Well, "no randomness in gameplay" just means, that you KNOW, what your decisions will result in. Still, the levels, items and monsters are all randomly generated and you can get to the end in several ways (some better, some worse). There's not THE ONE solution (like there is to a puzzle). I see your point, though and most people would say it's more "puzzle-like" than most roguelikes or RPGs. But actually in a very good way. :)
Nachtfischers Subkultur (German Indie Games/Music Blog)

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
I think when there's enough complexity in the system you get something that feels chess-like rather than puzzle-like.  Puzzle implies one solution that can be expressed in a small number of steps.  Chess-like means there are a number of solutions, and the range of options so complex that looking beyond a few turns is very difficult, so you still have the sense of not knowing what's going to happen.  The chess'like feeling is what I always enjoy in roguelikes, and what I try to instil in my own games.  Looks like Auro will have a good dose of that too.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
Definitely continuing to evolve deftly as per the latest video, congrats.   :)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training