Author Topic: MicRogue - Update Jun 19th  (Read 77712 times)

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
Re: MicRogue - Update Jun 19th
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:23 AM »
This is the type of floor that comes to mind when I think of a dojo:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/308/d/c/Matrix_Dojo___In_The_Works_1_by_Shiaoli.jpg

Snargleplax

• Rogueliker
  • snargleplax
    • View Profile
    • SnargleQuest dev log
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2012, 04:21:43 AM »
Those are tatami (rice husk mats), traditional Japanese flooring.  And yes, I believe that's what you'd find in most dojos AFAIK.

Of course, you're doing a fantasy game and it's your own anyway, so do what you think is good. :)

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »
I tried finding stuff on the elelephant. How exactly does it work?
Briefly, it moves at one-point diagonal jumps. So where the knight is allowed to move from A1 to C2, the elephant moves from A1 to C3. In Chinese chess (xiangqi), the elephant is also not allowed to cross the mid-line of the board (which is 9x10 points big). It stays on its 9x5 half to defend the king, covering only a few points.

Another fun piece in Xiangqi is the cannon. It moves like a rook, but is not allowed to capture in the normal way. Instead, it needs to jump over a single piece standing somewhere on the straight line between the cannon itself and the piece it wants to capture. (Don't know if that's an idea that could inspire MicRogue, just a fun fact, I guess :P)

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
I dont know if I can do Diagonal. I originally had the goblin, which moved only in diagonals, but the levels can either be very open to allow diagonal movement or like they currently are which really limits the goblin. I think maybe I can go through and redo the pathing code though and it might make it work out a little better. the pathing code I use though is pretty basic so I don't know how much change it can take.

Sadly I think I might be getting rid of the ninja. I will be keeping the monster, but changing his sprite to a different thing. Ninja is just to far out for a standard monster and it always seems to stick out when I make a group of them. so I will probably change it to another animal or monster, but not sure what yet.

also I am thinking of randomly giving the player a character to enter the dungeon as. This might be only graphical or I might go back and and add the skills in. anyways the player character will change but the castle and all that will stay the same, basically this enforces the disposable nature of roguelike heroes and puts it into a little context. Oh that hero died, send in the next one! If this happens though the ninja will make a return as a player sprite.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
I like the idea of multiple random player sprites.

An enemy to consider is a clone that has the same move and attack patterns as the player.

Pueo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »
An enemy to consider is a clone that has the same move and attack patterns as the player.
I personally don't see this as a good idea.  I envision something like a King v. King stalemate in Chess, where neither can get in range to attack because doing so would jeopardize one's own life.
{O.o}
 |)__)
   ” ”   o RLY?

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »
I personally don't see this as a good idea.  I envision something like a King v. King stalemate in Chess, where neither can get in range to attack because doing so would jeopardize one's own life.

That would only exist if the enemies were smart :) if you remove all the enemy moves that put them in a spot to die the game would be a bit different :P

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
Hey guys. small update. I completely redid the collision engine and all the bugs that it brought up. I also added a few more enemies in and I am getting ready to add the next dungeon. I am doing away with the ninja dojo as it has become to problematic in deciding what enemies it would house. so I am back to looking at the current enemies and deciding what goes where. current enemies are

- Blob    - limits your movement
- Yeti    - Freezes Enemies
- Eye   - swaps places
- Rat      - Normal Enemy
- Ninja    - moves like a chess knight
- Snail    - Moves every other turn.
- Bat      - Moves two Like the Player

the Bat might be replaced with a goblin, but I think that might be a little to specific yb sticking with monsters I am able to have a couple different environments for them. rats and bats could be in caves, as well as tombs, snails could be in the forest as well as the caves.

My next enemies will be the ghost which will be invisible except when moving. I also made 6 different character sprites and I am going to try randomly swapping to them each adventure. I thought about just randomly building them out of faces and colored hats, but it causes some yucky combinations. so this works better I think.

I will post a new build soon. Also I need to build out that Blog so I can actually use it.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
Just had a quick idea and wanted some feedback. When you die after entering should you respawn as a different character or the same one until you go back out to the main menu.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »
Different char, so the message of death is reinforced!

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
That was what I was thinking but I wondered if there would be a disconnect when it's just a new person. I don't want to show a new person entering each death. I like how quick the reset is.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
Ah, very good point, don't want a repeat intro.

Um, can we have two side by side builds to test?  My intuition says it's best to stay with the same char, as much as I'd prefer the variety, but I'd like to try and see.

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2012, 01:57:02 AM »
you could skip the intro but also change the character.  This way you are reinforcing the idea that a lot of adventurers are getting sent to their deaths without explicitly showing the opening again.

st33d

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
Consider the game Queens:

http://phuce.com/games/queens/

(It is brutal hard)

The introduction of a different character each time seems perfectly normal so long as the intro is quick.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2012, 01:39:09 AM »
wow, so that took forever to get an update out. Been very busy with the holidays and visiting family so work has been slow, but I finally have a new build. Its at my blog (which I hope to start actually posting on very soon).

My Blog

this one take into account the players win. to reset just hit R and as you play more enemies are added. I actually don't think this is as fun. I kind of like the big anything goes of the older version, where you had no idea what was coming at you. so I might drop it and just give the player a huge amount of content in the beginning

can anyone tell me how stuff works for the binding of issac. Does that game just have a tremendous amount of stuff in the begining? or is their actual progression? aside from like achievements. I always liked the way that game felt with feeling so different. same with the feel of spelunky.