Author Topic: Infra Arcana, a horror/Lovecraft roguelike (now at v22.1.0!).  (Read 255896 times)

NON

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 349
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Infra Arcana
    • Email
Infra Arcana v14.1
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
After months of work, finally, it is here:
Infra Arcana v14.0

http://infraarcana.wikispaces.com

New content and features
* Changed API from SDL to SFML - The game should run much smoother on most systems
* New inventory system which is easier to use, and requires much fewer keyboard commands to learn
* Inventory items are color coded and sorted according to item type and name
* New skill system - Instead of ranks there are separate abilities, each with their own name. Some abilities have prerequisites
* In-game options menu
* Some features in the game can be examined (by pressing [a]), to be interacted with in various ways - this includes tombs, cocoons, chests and cabinets
* Added a new trait called “Mythos knowledge” (MTH) - this determines your insight about the mystical and hidden forces - increases damage dealt to all bizarre, alien, mystical and shocking creatures - raises spell casting chance - at a certain level of MTH, you gain a powerful spell
* Monsters can trigger traps, and you can kick monsters into traps
* New spell casting system
* Changed the way monsters cause shock. Previously you would take a big hit on the first turn that you see the monster, then smaller hits for each turn. Now the shock taken starts at 0 instead, and increases slowly. This gives more opportunity to retreat, or to take down the monsters swiftly before taking too much shock.
* The player character and monsters have a life bar (only visible while wounded)
* The searching skill (now called “Observant”) no longer increases your chance of finding a secret door, instead if gives a chance to mark walls (you find a clue about a secret passage)
* Added “Strange devices” - a new item type which causes various positive effects to occur while active, but may malfunction or break
* Added “Electric Lantern” - lights up darkness while activate, but may flicker, malfunction or break
* Added “Potion of Sorcery” - sets casting chance for all learned spells to 100%
* Added “Potion of Knowledge” - increases Mythos knowledge
* Added “Manuscript of Azathoth’s Blast” - damages and paralyzes all visible creatures
* Added “Manuscript of Identify” - identifies a random unknown item in your inventory
* Added “Manuscript of Opening” - opens all doors, chests etc around you
* Changed “Potion of Clairvoyance” to a manuscript, and gave it a new effect
* Merged all manuscripts that casts negative status effects into “Manuscript of Enfeeble Enemies”
* Added an alarm trap
* Added a monster summoning trap
* Added status effect “Weak” - melee attacks does minimum damage, decreased carry weight limit, cannot bash doors, lower physical status resistance, and other effects
* Improved postmortem/memorial information - Removed the decorative graveyard from the intro level, instead there are gravestones scattered along the path to the church. These graves represent the top highscore entries, and have inscriptions that can be read using the [l]ook command. Added date and time to the highscore entries and graves. Postmortem info is always kept (in text files with character name and timestamp)
* Iron spikes can also be used as (bad) thrown weapons
* Flares light up a circular area of darkness (the flare’s field of view), instead of lighting up the whole room
* Carrying a lit flare lights up darkness around you, and you can walk around and fight while holding it
* Burning monsters lights up a small area of darkness around them
* Most non-human monsters can now see in darkness
* If becoming paralyzed while holding a lit Dynamite, Molotov cocktail or Flare, it will be dropped (if it’s a Molotov, it will explode when it hits the ground)
* Ranged weapons spawned on the floor have random amounts of ammo loaded, instead of always full
* Hitting a monster with a medium or heavy melee weapon now makes noise (alerting other monsters)
* Reloading while blind or terrified risks fumbling and wasting the turn
* If healing is aborted, you are partially healed (if a minimum number of turns have passed)
* Added phrases for many monsters (“I hear the flapping of great wings”, “I hear a gurgling noise”, etc)
* If you wield a machete and step into a spider web, you will instantly cut down the web
* A monster shot with a flare will take damage each turn, and may eventually catch fire (instead of exploding in flames on death)
* Rewritten shotgun code - Now, if the shot hits a human sized creature and the shot is lethal, it may also hit a second creature standing directly behind the first
* After a certain dungeon level, dart and spear traps can be poisoned
* Attacking unarmed causes a punch-attack

Graphics
* Nicer looking main menu, with a new logo (thanks to Agata Skrzypczyk)
* The Windows version has an icon (thanks to Agata Skrzypczyk)
* Added “clean” 16x24 font for tiles and ASCII mode, and made it default
* The typewriter font is fully available for ASCII mode
* Shadows have a new tile, and there are new tiles for new features, items and monsters (thanks to Christopher Barrett, aka Oryx)
* Added a new cave wall tile and general trap tile (thanks to Christopher Barrett, aka Oryx)
* Added new magical trap tile (thanks to Agata Skrzypczyk)
* The popup boxes have new border graphics (thanks to Christopher Barrett, aka Oryx), and the box and text layout is much nicer looking
* Unaware monsters have blue backgrounds instead of a blue underscore
* Added a secondary wall tile occasionally used as alternative (purely aesthetical)
* Added an atmospheric fade effect to the field of view - further cells are rendered darker (monsters are always drawn at full brightness though)

Balancing
* Made changes to the AI to make it act less irrational and more aggressive, in particular it won’t run back and forth between melee attacks or pass attack opportunities as much as in the previous version
* Made non-player aware monsters skip every second turn (they don’t move at full speed if nothing exciting is happening), this makes stealth tactics more powerful, and it looks cool when they discover you and start moving fast
* Becoming aware of the player by looking counts as an action for monsters (to give the monsters some reaction time instead of attacking instantly), though you may still be gunned down instantly if you alert the monsters beforehand (e.g. by making noise)
* Melee-attacking a creature who is unaware, fainted, paralyzed, or stuck has a very high hit chance bonus - melee-attacking a creature who is blind, confused, slowed or burning has a moderate hit chance bonus
* While paralyzed, additional paralyzing effects are prevented (creatures with such an attack could very easily paralyze you permanently)
* Knockback causes confusion
* Sadistic/Masochistic obsessions makes shock unable to go below a certain percent (instead of increasing the shock rate)
* Taking damage causes a small amount of shock (if not masochistic)
* The Incinerator (Napalm launcher) now use clips (3 rounds) instead of single shots

Usability
* Added titles to most popups
* Character info screen gives more info - combat stats, resistances, item knowledge
* Reading/drinking an unknown manuscript/potion and failing to identify it adds {tried} to the name
* The name of your currently wielded weapon and missile weapon is shown in the interface
* Melee damage is no longer shown in the interface for ranged weapons, and vice versa
* When [l]ooking at a weapon on the ground, damage, hit chance and loaded ammo is displayed
* Phobia effects no longer occur while healing (it could cause huge number of queries for canceling healing)
* Messages about status effects ending no longer queries for canceling healing
* Unload command also works for picking up ammo (convenient when you want to get all the ammo dropped from a monster, but not the gun)
* Merged bash and kick to one command
* Esc and space also works as “no” for all y/n prompts
* Esc works as alternative quit command (same as [Q])
* Attacking a monster in melee with a ranged weapon causes a warning prompt (can be turned off in the options menu)
* Armor disappears when dropping to 0 protection value
* Disease temporarily lowers your maximum HP, instead of making you rapidly lose HP down to a certain limit (with the old method it was always possible to heal yourself, even though it was useless)
* Removed some useless attack messages (“I fumble”, “It was a great hit!!!”)

Miscellaneous
* Removed kill count info from the look screen, and added it to the postmortem info instead, as well as showing the total number of kills
* Removed support for multiple save files
* Switched colors of gas traps and teleport traps, gas traps are now magenta and teleport traps are cyan

Bug fixes
* Nuclear batteries occasionally spawned with the wrong weight (reported by Surrealistik)
* Turn number is now stored in the save file


Screenshots
Beginning


First encounter


Insanity effects


ASCII mode



About the game
Infra Arcana is a Roguelike set in the early 20th century. The goal is to explore the lair of a dreaded cult called The Church of Starry Wisdom. Buried deep beneath their hallowed grounds lies an artefact called The Shining Trapezohedron - a window to all secrets of the universe. Your ultimate goal is to unearth this artefact.

The theme and inspiration for this game comes mainly from the horror fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft. The game also draws flavor from various B-horror movies, as well as the first-person shooter PC game Blood.

As a Roguelike - the game adheres to the virtues of the genre, such as high replay value and challenging tactical game play.

Game features
* Atmospheric monsters and dungeons: A variety of wicked and twisted nightmares taken straight from the works of H. P. Lovecraft and other weird fiction.

* Insanity system: As you dive deeper into hallowed grounds of the cult you become more shocked and insane. The game features various mental effects such as, phobias, obsessions, nervous babbling and finally, death from insanity.

*Experiencing mythos: As you become more familiar with sinister secrets of the cults you become stronger and more tied to the strange world of the gloomy dungeons.

* Well balanced skill system: You will be able to change your character throughout the gameplay to better react to the dangerous environment: starting as a wizard may lead you to becoming a soldier.

* 1st person narration: Seeing every event from the character’s perspective allows you to better feel the atmosphere.

* Coffeebreak style: You can dive instantly into the action without hours of preparing. Your increasing insanity and madness of the place will push you forward towards your ultimate goal.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:26:27 PM by getter77 »
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

getter77

  • Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
  • *****
  • Posts: 4953
  • Karma: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
The heartiest of congrats on this hard wrought work----one of the best feeling and far reaching changelogs I can recall seeing in quite a long time.   8)

Let the bright future commence from here!
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

kraflab

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 454
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
Awesome, I need to get back into this :)

guest509

  • Guest
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
Oh damn! Calling in sick to work now.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2013, 02:29:08 AM »
Woot!

Was actually gonna email you earlier right before I saw this post.

Gonna give it a go as soon as the hockey game is over.

can't wait to see the strange devices.

***EDIT***
Sharks win and we're going to the playoffs AND new IA!  Gonna be a good night tater.

***EDIT 2****
Just started it up.  No fullscreen?!  :(

******EDIT 3***
After 7 games of getting taken down on either the prologue level, or level 1, and the Major AND Dean Halsey pops up at the beginning of level 2 the first time I get that far? :(

****EDIT 4**

Possible bug: Is the Major supposed to respawn? I killed him (barely) then some time later on the same level, he came back in a totally different area of the map after I (again, barely) took out Dean Halsey..

Some notes:
*I threw a stick of dynamite, then I grew more insane, and gained a spell somehow all within the same turn. Mostly wondering how I gained the spell (Thaumatergic Alteration) Was it a result of my insanity? I was only at character level 2 and never chose any mythos knowledge skills.

*The game has gotten much more intense it seems. Has the respawn rate gone up? I killed over a hundred enemies within the first two levels.

*I like the new skill system so far. The only thing I slightly dislike about it is that there is no longer a clear visible sense of where I have already put skill into while on the skill page like there was before with the point system. I hope that made sense.

*I seem to be going insane fairly quicker than before.

*The lighting system is very nice.

*At least one or two larger font options would be very nice and much appreciated. Especially if compatible with the times mode. I tried checking out the tile mode, but it was much to small for me to really make anything out without straining..

*Some "level feelings/descriptions" would be a nice touch when you first enter a level. They wouldn't really need to mean anything, but would just add even more to the great atmosfear of the game.

*I really like the high scores on the headstones in the prologue level.

*So far, I have not found any ammo and only one weapon and a couple scrolls on any given level.

*when you open a cabinet, it would be nice if it told you what you found. It simply told me I found something and then that I felt something at my feet. Then I had to step back and look at it to find out what it was.

*Haven't found one yet, but, can I fall into a pit? :)

*might I find a spike mace somewhere? :P

If there is a fullscreen mode, how can I activate it? If there isn't, could you please add it?  :D

*It would be nice if you could also use/activate items from the Inventory screen. It would be even more streamlined and almost perfect if this was added. (please forgive me if you can already, but I tried, but couldn't figure out how to if it is).

*I like how kick and bash were integrated into a single command. But, when trying to kick/bash something, the prompt says "kick or bash in what direction" or something like that. I think it would be better if it simple asked which direction instead of saying "kick or bash".  I mention this because it kinda breaks the immersion in my opinion. Would also be a nice touch if maybe the response message was randomized to be either "I kick..." or "I bash..."

* I noticed in the change log about shotguns. They have a chance of hitting an enemy behind the target if human size. Does it also work for enemies that would be next to the target? I think it may make sense if it did. Basically, withing the 8 surrounding spaces of the target.

*the life bars are a nice touch.

*On the fence a little about the blue background for oblivious enemies instead of the underscore. It is much better from a functional standpoint. Aesthetically though, I like the underscore better. Also, it made it a little harder to tell if they were unaware with the underscore which I think kinda made sense since you don't really know whether they are aware of you or not realistically. Although, I'm sure the switch was probably a result of the health bars. 

*It would be nice if some of the decorations had descriptions. Especially the alters. Maybe they could have books on them or a chance of finding scrolls on them. And What's a brazier? I have a rouch idea, but the first thing that comes to mind is something preferably leopard print and that will be coming off soon bu unhooking a clasp in the front or back. I prefer front btw.

* I like "escape to Reality" for Quit on the main menu.  :P

*I think it would be nice if pressing the space bar could also function as the "Wait" command.

*The new title screen is very nice. I think it would be cool if the shifting text in the background could have a blue tint to it though with the red text for the title and selections. Or maybe green. Although, I liked the blue color for the title with the selections in red from the old version when in ascii mode better than the red for the title, in which case, blue for the shifting text wouldn't be the best idea  :P.

Sorry for the long post with seemingly random observations/requests. I am feeling rather magenta and it seems babbling has set in.

Please bear in mind, that I am writing this after 17 games and have only gotten as far as level 2. So some of my observations could very well be inaccurate.

Now I'm off to get a handfull more games in while watching the original Hellraiser and perhaps a bit of whiskey to set the mood.

Thanks again for the great game Martin. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:19:21 AM by Legend »

NON

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 349
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Infra Arcana
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
Just started it up.  No fullscreen?!  :(
Actually there never really was a proper fullscreen support in IA. In previous versions, the option was there and you could try it, but if it worked it was just a happy accident. But on many systems I tried it on, the map got stretched in an ugly way, or ended up partly outside the screen.

When I switched API from SDL to SFML (something I'm now starting to regret more and more...), the "experimental" fullscreen support behaved much less nice when it failed (game freezing).

But proper fullscreen support is on the to-do list. Perhaps for v14.1.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:09 AM »
Quote
But proper fullscreen support is on the to-do list. Perhaps for v14.1.

Yay!!!!!!!

Fullscreen is a big deal for me personally and often is a make or break thing for me when playing a game unfortunately. Mostly because of a combination of lack of immersion and visibility when not being able to play fullscreen or at the very least, being able to maximize the window to completely fill my screen. Fullscreen is definitely preferred though.

Quote
Actually there never really was a proper fullscreen support in IA. In previous versions, the option was there and you could try it, but if it worked it was just a happy accident. But on many systems I tried it on, the map got stretched in an ugly way, or ended up partly outside the screen.

A happy coincident for me. :)  I suppose it did get stretched a bit, but I never found it ugly and it was actually easier to see. I never ended up with anything outside the screen. Running a laptop with win xp sp3.

***p.s. I noticed you posted your fullscreen reply while I was making my last edit, so you may wanna look up to see my comments.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:10:41 AM by Legend »

NON

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 349
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Infra Arcana
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »
A lot of comments, nice  :D

Okay here we go...

Quote from: Legend
Possible bug: Is the Major supposed to respawn? I killed him (barely) then some time later on the same level, he came back in a totally different area of the map after I (again, barely) took out Dean Halsey..
Are you sure you killed him completely? If he leaves a corpse he can rise again just like the reanimated corpses. Anyway, I'll keep an eye open for it.

*EDIT* Also, maybe he stepped on a teleport trap.

Quote from: Legend
*I threw a stick of dynamite, then I grew more insane, and gained a spell somehow all within the same turn. Mostly wondering how I gained the spell (Thaumatergic Alteration) Was it a result of my insanity? I was only at character level 2 and never chose any mythos knowledge skills.
Read the chapter on Mythos knowledge in the manual.

Quote from: Legend
*The game has gotten much more intense it seems. Has the respawn rate gone up? I killed over a hundred enemies within the first two levels.
Possibly. But I never felt that it's excessive.

Quote from: Legend
*I like the new skill system so far. The only thing I slightly dislike about it is that there is no longer a clear visible sense of where I have already put skill into while on the skill page like there was before with the point system. I hope that made sense.
Yeah I see what you mean. I'll see if I can make it show previous picks somehow.

Quote from: Legend
*I seem to be going insane fairly quicker than before.
Perhaps because shock is raised when taking damage now.

Quote from: Legend
*At least one or two larger font options would be very nice and much appreciated. Especially if compatible with the times mode. I tried checking out the tile mode, but it was much to small for me to really make anything out without straining..
I thought the current one's were pretty huge. But I was thinking about making an option to scale the graphics to 2x size (perhaps even more).

Quote from: Legend
*Some "level feelings/descriptions" would be a nice touch when you first enter a level. They wouldn't really need to mean anything, but would just add even more to the great atmosfear of the game.
A cool idea for v15.

Quote from: Legend
*when you open a cabinet, it would be nice if it told you what you found. It simply told me I found something and then that I felt something at my feet. Then I had to step back and look at it to find out what it was.
I'll think about it.

Quote from: Legend
*Haven't found one yet, but, can I fall into a pit? :)
No pits at the moment, but they will be back in a future version.

Quote from: Legend
*might I find a spike mace somewhere? :P
Nope ;-)

Quote from: Legend
*It would be nice if you could also use/activate items from the Inventory screen. It would be even more streamlined and almost perfect if this was added. (please forgive me if you can already, but I tried, but couldn't figure out how to if it is).
No you can't do that now. I'll consider it.

Quote from: Legend
*I like how kick and bash were integrated into a single command. But, when trying to kick/bash something, the prompt says "kick or bash in what direction" or something like that. I think it would be better if it simple asked which direction instead of saying "kick or bash".  I mention this because it kinda breaks the immersion in my opinion.
Hm yeah I agree. That's not a very atmospheric message.

Quote from: Legend
Would also be a nice touch if maybe the response message was randomized to be either "I kick..." or "I bash..."
Maybe.

Quote from: Legend
* I noticed in the change log about shotguns. They have a chance of hitting an enemy behind the target if human size. Does it also work for enemies that would be next to the target? I think it may make sense if it did. Basically, withing the 8 surrounding spaces of the target.
Only if directly behind.

Quote from: Legend
*One the fence a little about the blue background for oblivious enemies instead of the underscore. It is much better from a functional standpoint. Aesthetically though, I like the underscore better. Also, it made it a little harder to tell if they were unaware with the underscore which I think kinda made sense since you don't really know whether they are aware of you or not realistically.
Making it hard to perceive as a design choice moves the skill check from the game-character to the player, which I'm strongly against.

Quote from: Legend
Although, I'm sure the switch was probably a result of the health bars. 
Yes.

Quote from: Legend
*It would be nice if some of the decorations had descriptions. Especially the alters. Maybe they could have books on them or a chance of finding scrolls on them.
It will be expanded in future versions.

Quote from: Legend
And What's a brazier? I have a rouch idea, but the first thing that comes to mind is something preferably leopard print and that will be coming off soon bu unhooking a clasp in the front or back. I prefer front btw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazier

Quote from: Legend
*I think it would be nice if pressing the space bar could also function as the "Wait" command.
Hm....

Quote from: Legend
*The new title screen is very nice. I think it would be cool if the shifting text in the background could have a blue tint to it though. Or maybe green.
I'll experiment with it.

Quote from: Legend
Sorry for the long post with seemingly random observations/requests. I am feeling rather magenta and it seems babbling has set in.
Hahaha :D

Quote from: Legend
Please bear in mind, that I am writing this after 17 games and have only gotten as far as level 2. So some of my observations could very well be inaccurate.
Fight harder, practice :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:59:17 PM by NON »
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

guest509

  • Guest
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »
Woot!


***EDIT 2****
Just started it up.  No fullscreen?!  :(


Oh noes Legend! I swear I make sure everything I do has fullscreen and easy peasy gamepadable control scheme if I can.

AgingMinotaur

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 805
  • Karma: +2/-0
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
I'm having some trouble running it on Linux. As far as I can tell, the problem starts at something called GLEW (IA uses version 1.6, and libglew version is 1.7 in Debian testing). I also tried to make it from the sources, but then this happens:
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libGLEW.so.1.6, needed by API/SFML/lib_linux_shared/libsfml-graphics.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
API/SFML/lib_linux_shared/libsfml-graphics.so: undefined reference to `__glewUniform1fARB'
   [ snip lots of similar messages ]
API/SFML/lib_linux_shared/libsfml-graphics.so: undefined reference to `__glewGetHandleARB'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin] Error 1

Other than that, looking forward to trying the new version. By the way, NON, do you remember these? http://spelgalten.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/silhuett_dod2_3.jpg Oryx's silhouette tiles just make me think of them (Nisse's, on the left, of course, not the ones lifted from MERP ::))

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »
Curse you Tornqvist!

I stayed up way too late playing this.

Couple more things:

*I forget, are ozzes supposed to be able to go through walls? I was positioned at a corner in a doorway adjacent to a flooded room with Oozes. The Oozes would position themselves inside the corner wall and attack me.  I believe it was one of the alternate wall tiles in ascii mode. Seen them go into walls a few more times.

*found several manuscripts inside flooded rooms. Just seems a bit unlikely that any manuscript that I found on the floor of a flooded room would really be usable/readable.

*I can't seem to get through a single level without getting my insanity up to 100% while on the level even while choosing shock reducing skills. I think maybe it could be reduced a smidge at least during the early levels.

*Would be nice if the post mortem showed you your selected skills as well.

*Do oozes heal themselves? It seems like they do.

*Regarding the shotguns, I think it would make sense if they hit for some partial damage to enemies adjacent to the target. Not just behind. Especially smaller enemies like spiders and rats. Seems like the spread of a shotgun would be able to hit more than one if grouped together rather than one shell for a single spider.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:21:37 AM by Legend »

NON

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 349
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Infra Arcana
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
Quote from: AgingMinotaur
I'm having some trouble running it on Linux. As far as I can tell, the problem starts at something called GLEW (IA uses version 1.6, and libglew version is 1.7 in Debian testing). I also tried to make it from the sources, but then this happens:
Code: [Select]
...
Do you start the game from the file "ia", or from the file "bin"? You should run it from "ia".

"ia" is supposed to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to temporarily include the stuff in the API folder. If this is the file you are running, then I guess this is the wrong environment variable to set on your system?

Do you know if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used, or if it's something else?

I'm currently looking at going back to SDL. SFML gave too much trouble. This dependency to an obsolete library for example ::)

Quote from: AgingMinotaur
NON, do you remember these? http://spelgalten.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/silhuett_dod2_3.jpg Oryx's silhouette tiles just make me think of them (Nisse's, on the left, of course, not the ones lifted from MERP ::))

As always,
Minotauros
Hm, no I don't think I've seen those before. But they sure remind me of IA :)
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

NON

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 349
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Infra Arcana
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
Quote from: Legend
Curse you Tornqvist!

I stayed up way too late playing this.
Har har har! 'Twas my goal all along! ;D

Quote from: Legend
*I forget, are ozzes supposed to be able to go through walls? I was positioned at a corner in a doorway adjacent to a flooded room with Oozes. The Oozes would position themselves inside the corner wall and attack me.  I believe it was one of the alternate wall tiles in ascii mode. Seen them go into walls a few more times.
They can move past doors and debris (they are oozes, so they can just move below the door, or between the rocks), but not through solid walls.

Quote from: Legend
*found several manuscripts inside flooded rooms. Just seems a bit unlikely that any manuscript that I found on the floor of a flooded room would really be usable/readable.
Such an attention to detail :)
Okay, sure, that seems reasonable that water should destroy manuscripts. I'll put it on to-do.

Quote from: Legend
*I can't seem to get through a single level without getting my insanity up to 100% while on the level even while choosing shock reducing skills. I think maybe it could be reduced a smidge at least during the early levels.
Descending earlier doesn't help?

Try to only keep monsters inside your field of view for very short times. Especially things like fleeing with a shocking monster chasing just behind you can be devastating to your mind.

Quote from: Legend
*Would be nice if the post mortem showed you your selected skills as well.
Sure.

Quote from: Legend
*Do oozes heal themselves? It seems like they do.
Yep. I think this was more fun than the enormous amount of HP they had before.

Quote from: Legend
*Regarding the shotguns, I think it would make sense if they hit for some partial damage to enemies adjacent to the target. Not just behind. Especially smaller enemies like spiders. Seems like the spread of a shotgun would be able to hit more than one if grouped together rather than one shell for a single spider.
I'll consider it.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
Quote

Quote
Quote from: Legend
*I forget, are ozzes supposed to be able to go through walls? I was positioned at a corner in a doorway adjacent to a flooded room with Oozes. The Oozes would position themselves inside the corner wall and attack me.  I believe it was one of the alternate wall tiles in ascii mode. Seen them go into walls a few more times.
They can move past doors and debris (they are oozes, so they can just move below the door, or between the rocks), but not through solid walls.

So they are supposed to be able to actually move onto the same space as a wall? Like they are clinging to it? Cause that's what they appear to be doing.  Just checking in case it's a bug.

AgingMinotaur

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 805
  • Karma: +2/-0
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
Re: Infra Arcana v14.0
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
Trying to run:
Code: [Select]
~/data/spill/infra_arcana/ia_v14.0$ ./ia
./bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Sorry to say, I'm not very familiar with using system variables to do stuff, so can't really tell you if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the right one to use. Maybe you can simply provide libGLEW.so.1.6 in API/SFML/lib_linux_shared/ for all I know?

Quote from: AgingMinotaur
NON, do you remember these? http://spelgalten.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/silhuett_dod2_3.jpg Oryx's silhouette tiles just make me think of them (Nisse's, on the left, of course, not the ones lifted from MERP ::))
Hm, no I don't think I've seen those before. But they sure remind me of IA :)
Ah, well, they were part of a pack distributed with early editions of Drakar och Demoner, so I've fond memories of them, and thought, well, you never know ;)

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.