Author Topic: WARUDO - new roguelike game  (Read 14560 times)

Lurler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
WARUDO - new roguelike game
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new on this forum (actually just registered second ago). I never knew that such great forum existed! I thought that no one is interested in games like these anymore...

Anyway, I recently started making new game that will be quite roguelike-ish so I googled "roguelike forum" and found this site :)

I always loved roguelike games, but still hated ascii graphics (please don't kill me for that) and always wanted more. One of my favorite game is Powder but I felt like even this game is not enough. So... I decided to make my own :)

Okay, about the game.

The games is called, as you can see in subj - Warudo - I named it like this because I wanted to emphasize that this game features open world (warudo is japanese pronunciatuon of world). Tha game itself will be very similar to powder, but with slighly better graphics (I make it using C# and XNA) but the most unusual feature is that whole game will be not in dungeones but in an open world with forests, citis, mountains, plains etc. etc. etc. You will be free to explore the world, advance your character, find new stuff and so on.

Development status: For now pretty much everything related to terrain rendering and game editor is ready, but there's no actual gameplay yet... you can walk around and see how it works. Don't forget to test the editor. Still I hope to hear some input from you. Maybe I'm wasting my time and no one is interested at all, or maybe on the contrary you'd like to play it. So please give me some feedback.

And here's the screenshots:

Screenshots are from VERY early version.
And dont worry, the game won't be that bloody :) it's just placeholder sprites from my old game, I'm using these because I want to make engine first before wasting time making sprites.

https://sites.google.com/site/warudogame/ - web site of the project, not much there yet, though.

ps - english is not my native lang so if you can correct me or especially correct texts in the game it would really be helpful!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:11:26 AM by Lurler »

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
Re: WARUDO - new roguelike game
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
Hey, cool to see another developer on the scene.  Certainly there'll be people interested, especially in the premise of an outdoor focussed roguelike, but it would be nice to see some real gameplay develop soon.  Also, I'd highly recommend you find a better place to host images - that site is spammy, ad-filled and contains some non-work suitable images.  Use something like imageshack or tinypic instead, or even register your own google sites account so you can permanently store pics and other files online.

If you have an interest in Powder then I recommend you check out rec.games.roguelike.development, where Powder creator Jeff Lait hangs out and many of us discuss development stuff.  It's a great area for inspiration and help on specific coding problems.

Lurler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
Hey, cool to see another developer on the scene.  Certainly there'll be people interested, especially in the premise of an outdoor focussed roguelike, but it would be nice to see some real gameplay develop soon.
Glad to hear it :) I'll try to show some more pics soon!
Once I make save/load functions for maps I'll probably make a little demo of the engine, not the game but just movements and rendering demo.

Also, I'd highly recommend you find a better place to host images - that site is spammy, ad-filled and contains some non-work suitable images.  Use something like imageshack or tinypic instead, or even register your own google sites account so you can permanently store pics and other files online.
Thanks for the info, I'll use one of these next time. Or really make a google site. Can I host my whole project there? Like pages, screens, downloads?

If you have an interest in Powder then I recommend you check out rec.games.roguelike.development, where Powder creator Jeff Lait hangs out and many of us discuss development stuff.  It's a great area for inspiration and help on specific coding problems.
Oh, I'll definitely look into it. Maybe even contact the creator of powder himself.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
Congrats and welcome----I hope for good things on the future of your project as I am also one of the graphical Roguelike players out there. (Psst...still try Triangle Wizard...somehow it works~)

Heh, I was a bit   :'(  though as  from the title I thought "Awesome, somebody is taking another crack at a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Roguelike!"   :D

Definitely keep us all posted as things shake down.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll use one of these next time. Or really make a google site. Can I host my whole project there? Like pages, screens, downloads?

It has a limit of 10 Mb files I think, but anything can go up there.  I have one that I just use as a dumping ground for files - it's nice to have something like that which you can access from any location.  Pages, pics and packages go up just fine.

Lurler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:48:13 PM »
Congrats and welcome----I hope for good things on the future of your project as I am also one of the graphical Roguelike players out there. (Psst...still try Triangle Wizard...somehow it works~)

Heh, I was a bit   :'(  though as  from the title I thought "Awesome, somebody is taking another crack at a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Roguelike!"   :D

Definitely keep us all posted as things shake down.
;)

It has a limit of 10 Mb files I think, but anything can go up there.  I have one that I just use as a dumping ground for files - it's nice to have something like that which you can access from any location.  Pages, pics and packages go up just fine.
Okay. I made the site :)
https://sites.google.com/site/warudogame/
warudo was already taken by someone who don't even use it... :(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:58:18 PM by Lurler »

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
Wow, cool start to your site, and no horrible ads  :)

Lurler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
Also, what resolution I should make the game?

It's 1024*768 ATM, but I don't like it. I'd use 800*600 but it's waaaay to low in that age, maybe 1280*1024 or 1600*1200? or what? I don't like very high resolution either.

In what resolution would you like to play?

Also there's one way to do it... add a buffer with lets say 1600*1200 resolution but RESIZE image afterwards to resolution that user set in options. It will also allow to add special effects to whole screen like blur.

Whad do you think?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:06:47 AM by Lurler »

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:53:52 AM »
Hard to say, but selfishly, my max res is 1680x1050.

Should be some way to scale things though to allow for variety.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Lurler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
nvm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:04:05 AM by Lurler »

Lurler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
Okay, first playable version is ready ^_^

There isn't actual game yet, but you can start the game, walk around, switch to editor mode by pressing tab and place different tiles and objects to see how it works.

You can download the game here
https://sites.google.com/site/warudogame/

I'd appreciate your feedback!