Author Topic: Anyone want to pitch in with references?  (Read 9043 times)

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
Anyone want to pitch in with references?
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »
Hay guise  ;D

As you already know, I'm wasting my time developing a zapm version/variant/whatever.

Do you have any funny or interesting references, from sci-fi in general, other games, or roguelike games that you think I should implement?
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone want to pitch in with references?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »
can never go wrong with the shwartz.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
You mean Shwartz, Susan? Haven't read any books by her, would you recommend a particular one?
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

willraman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
May the shwartz be with you.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
I had a thought and here are two ideas to consider:

When you use weapon enhance disks on phasers you could print the message "you fine tune the phase variance of <weapon>" or "you fail to pick better phase variance of <weapon>" instead of regular message. Maybe even let phasers be enhanced by one more point than all other guns? The "modify the phase variance" phrase was a command sometimes given in the Star Trek series. It was also cheat code in StarCraft for bypassing structure building tree requirements.

Daleks are known for buzzing the "EXTERMINATE!" word loudly in irritating high pitch. Make Daleks announce themselves when they enter your sight range regardless of being in dark rooms. That would provide a reference but also give some unique feel to these robotic enemies.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »
Wow, thanks ancient, *that* is the kind of answer I was expecting! :D
edit: of yes, that SC cheat,  o.o !
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:20:24 AM by Psiweapon »

guest509

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
  'The Schwarz' is a Space Balls reference. Space Balls is a Mel Brooks movie from the 80's.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Man, I do know Spaceballs! I'll have to look up that reference, it's been a long time since I saw that movie.

Bear

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »
For what it's worth, Daleks (according to the Dr Who series) are not robots.  They're physically degenerate nasty little aliens who've built these encounter suits with mounted weapons in order to pursue their omnicidal agenda. 

So there's a distinction between mechanically disabling them (eg, by cutting power to their drives and weapons) and killing them (eg, by teleporting a dose of poison into the chamber inside the suit where the "pilot" resides).

But the distinction is lost on the Major ("Just once, I wish we'd encounter an alien menace that wasn't bulletproof!!")

Bear