Author Topic: MultiplayerRL Question...  (Read 10705 times)

guest509

MultiplayerRL Question...
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
  Are there any RL's out there where the player controls a group?

I really enjoyed squad based games. I also love Battle For Wesnoth. Are there any roguelikes like this?

dephbokks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: MultiplayerRL Question...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:04:13 AM »
The only rl that I know of where the player controls a group, more like a party, is in an obscure game called 'Wizard's Lair'. But, the party moves on one tile & its only effect is in combat.

This summer, I began development on a game with Wizard's Lair as an influence. In my game the player manages a small army of up to 45 soldiers. The soldiers' ai uses flocking algorithms, ie steering behaviour to move. The player leads them and can issue orders, regarding their squad formations & behaviour. In this way, I can achieve 'massive' battles with like 80 goblins versus the players army.

It is definitely a cool idea, which is why I am exploring its possibilities, but it is more difficult to manage not only from a programming perspective, but also from a game design/balancing perspective. In my scheme, the player gives orders to the squads and the ai acts somewhat autonomously based on the player's suggestions.

I hope to release this someday & I think I am getting close, but also I think I may be the master a vapourware so who knows....

Also, dwarf fortress seems to implement squad based defensive combat when defending the fort in fortress mode.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »
If memory serves, you find allies to command in SewerJacks. Pogo-stick-riding chainsaw-wielding Norwegians FTW!

guest509

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:09:40 AM »
If memory serves, you find allies to command in SewerJacks. Pogo-stick-riding chainsaw-wielding Norwegians FTW!

Oh yeah forgot about that one! Lol! I should fire that one back up. It has been updated recently I think.

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking of doing a squadRL or partyRL and wanted to know if others were doing the same. It is entirely vaporware at the moment.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:59:33 AM »
Yeah, I am in the middle of looking at a Warhammer 40k inspired game, where you once again boss around allies.  However this time I am looking at more tactical gameplay with allies. 

I like games where you allies act more independently from orders rather than direct control, which was obviously the inspiration for SewerJacks, although I still have not see it done correctly.  Probably need to implement some objective-based AI, where you give them an objective and how they accomplish it is up to them.

Albion- http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=1330.0 - more of a CRPG game.
Sewerjacks - as mentioned.
StarCraft: Rogue Mercenaries 7DRL - similiar to SewerJacks.
Crawl has Orchish Priests, Summoners, and Necromancers classes, but are not really a party based. Orc Priests are closest, as you can level up your orcs and they get names and classes.
When WarpRogue was Tower Of Doom, it has some nifty ideas for team combat.
Was it Antonie that had a 4-squad rogue like game??
There was another that I used to play, using a roguelike engine, but used static maps and was more of a CRPG. Oh well cant remember it.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
If you're looking to control a party in a RL, you might enjoy Guild.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »
Quote from: corremn
Was it Antonie that had a 4-squad rogue like game??
If you're looking to control a party in a RL, you might enjoy Guild.

Yeah thats the one.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

RantingRodent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
In the adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress you can recruit a fairly significant number of companions once your reputation is good enough. Your control over them is pretty loose, however.

guest509

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:48:26 AM »
  TY for the GUILD link. I'll be checking it out.

As for Dwarf Fortress. Holy crap dude...I've played it a bit. It is way too much for me. Props to the developer and all but I'm just not patient enough to figure it all out.

kipar

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
There is also GearHead 2.
In Arena Mode you directly control the group of mechs. But yes, it's not very roguelikish.
Adventure mode in GH is more rogue-like, but you don't have a lot of control over your allies in battle. You can only order them to keep distance\stick close.

By the way, the development of my current roguelike project started from the words
"What roguelike I wanna to play?... Squad-based roguelike!"