Author Topic: Expedition v0.2 Released: 519 years of The New World  (Read 4524 times)

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
Expedition v0.2 Released: 519 years of The New World
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:12:36 AM »
Hello all!

After about three months of development, I present you a new version of Expedition!

A video (There are some others at my channel, santizap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3J_XXYDs4

This version is a big advancement from v0.1.7, here are some highlights:

* Graphics mode, using Oryx 8x8 tiles!
* Wind, Trade Winds and Doldrums
* Storms! They grow and shrink and travel with the wind
* Preset expedition loadouts and difficulty
* Combat has been completely remade, now you fight in groups of 60 units through ranged, mounted and melee phases
* Town making has been revamped, now you build different kind of buildings and host people into it.
* Trade with native settlements
* Assault and threaten native settlements
* Enhanced Sailing (Now you rotate your ships and speed depends on wind direction)
* Wood Chopping
* Foraging and Fishing
* Hint System (In-game help)
* Weather and Temperature
* Lots of other things! Check out the whole story at http://slashware.net/blog

Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:21:08 PM by Slash »

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition v0.2 Released: 519 years of The New World
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
Congrats, don't forget to update the Roguebasin listing as it still has Interface as "ASCII, Keyboard"
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Bear

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition v0.2 Released: 519 years of The New World
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »
It's looking good! 

Just a note about highly experienced sailors (I noticed that in that screenshot you had a sailor XL30 in the crew!) as compared to occasional sailors like me, is that these guys can notice air movement that's imperceptible to normal people. I was out deckhanding for this old guy on his boat a few months ago, about 150 miles west of the Farallon islands, where he goes to "get away from it all."

With the land out of sight, the little anemometer not turning at all, the windvane swinging limply with the movement of the boat, and (I supposed) not a breath of air stirring, he was staring into the sky and setting the sails on his boat.  The sails hung absolutely limp like there was no wind, and there was no movement except the swells passing by under the boat ... but when we checked GPS we discovered that we were making about a sixteenth of a knot in the direction we wanted to go.  He couldn't even explain what it was he saw or felt to know there was some air moving, he just "had a feeling" and fifty-odd years of sailing experience.

They call it "ghosting" - using the ghost of a breeze, or the movement of ghosts, to operate a sailboat.  I was suitably impressed with his seamanship, but I had to get back to work about 20 hours later(he's retired) and a sixteenth of a knot wasn't going to cover the 200-odd nautical miles back to San Francisco bay, so eventually we had to start the motor. 

Old dude resents the motor.  Doesn't like the noise, or the smell, thinks sailing is better without the extra weight, and having a motor means you're in too much of a damned hurry.

Bear