Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 108868 times)

CrimsonKing

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
Thanks again for the interest, as well as the content suggestions.

I've decided to cut back some of the features I was going to add to the alpha (mostly to do with the NPC's and their reactions) due to the overwhelming response that I've had. The game is a hot topic at the moment and it would be folly not to seize on that by getting it out there ASAP.

I'm going to fix the critical bugs, add a basic save system (so you can send me bugged characters) and finish coding the new interactions that I've started on. I'll spend this weekend and the next on it, at the most, then you'll have a playable version.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:59:02 PM by CrimsonKing »

Nuker w

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Thats great news. Good luck.

Jigxor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dungeon Dashers
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
Really excited to hear this! Can't wait to play it :)

alexpoysky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 06:25:13 PM »
Wonderful news crimson! I just made an account to send you a P.M, please let me know if youve recieved it!

mondayrocks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »
Did anyone see his youtube account? It could be that someone stole his password or something as he seems incredibly serious about this. Also, speaking as a ph.d graduate student, the poster uses emotionally judgmental language in his explanation that this game was just an experiment.  That would not happen if they actually were doing a university study.  Also, there is a specific board of ethics that must approve various experiments like this. Usually, but not always, the participants (IE us) have to sign a form saying we understand the consequences. The form also gives contact info. I don't know, but I don't think I believe the youtube edit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SKRoguelike

"This game is a hoax. The purpose was to gather statistical information for a University project. We reviewed individual YouTube accounts, as well as the forum posting history of various users who expressed interest in the game, to determine if they are also avid players of other extremely violent games. We paid special attention to gamers who sent us PM's with extremely disturbing, sexually explicit content suggestions. There's a lot of you out there.

There is hope in that a quantitative portion of gamers were repulsed by the notion of simulating serial killers as player characters in a video game. Kudos to you if you fall in that category.

For future reference, two university students were responsible for this small experiment. We both took turns posting comments under the same name in order to keep up initial momentum."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:33:53 PM by mondayrocks »

tarsier

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 10:44:54 PM »
Mondayrocks is right, that youtube post must be a hoax.

Any sort of University experiment requires that consent be given to the researchers by the participants. I don't think he/she has gotten any agreements from us regarding using our information.

Obviously someone is displeased with the project and is trying to shut it down.

CrimsonKing, your game could be causing some backlash already!

tarsier

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
Never mind, CrimsonKing has been spotted admitting this is all one big troll and that there is and won't be SKRoguelike.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64522.msg1521281#msg1521281

Nice victory for a troll. And it certainly raised lot of interesting discussions.... I hadn't seen the video before replying (was just happy a roguelike in development was gathering attention. It is somewhat disgusting yet interesting.

DrOctapu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 12:54:29 AM »
Hello gents. I have talked to Youtube's SKRoguelike account and they made a reference to MI-4, aka the British FBI. However, any American is unlikely to have knowledge of MI-4, let alone use it in average conversation. Additionally, this CrimsonKing's local time from his profile is only 1 time zone away from me, in America. Sounds like they were hacked to me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:56:34 AM by DrOctapu »

insectcalm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 01:00:27 AM »
I will always believe that he saw all the articles that were written about it and how excited people were for it and just chickened out.

DrOctapu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
I will always believe that he saw all the articles that were written about it and how excited people were for it and just chickened out.
That's the logic I'm using right now while talking with him. If anything, I hope to get him to release it in it's current state, if he's not a troll.

DrOctapu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »
I hate to bump, but I have a bit of a revelation here:
Quote from: SKRoguelike
Or maybe, just maybe, I had an idea for a game that I didn't have the skills to make. Maybe I figured I'd pretend to make it. Give a bunch of idea's cloaked as features. Then maybe I figured I'd piss everyone off by telling them it's all bullshit.

Then maybe someone would actually make the game just to spite me.

:)

Jigxor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dungeon Dashers
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »
I'm just determined to make this game now! Bastard. Well played.

DrOctapu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 01:16:55 AM »
I'm just determined to make this game now! Bastard. Well played.
I know. That was my EXACT reaction to finding out he was trolling us.
EDIT: Posting continued on bay 12. In the other games category.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:45:23 AM by DrOctapu »

Nuker w

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 02:16:52 AM »
Well played...  >:( Well played...