Author Topic: New simple roguelike library for C++  (Read 9170 times)

dephbokks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New simple roguelike library for C++
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:24:42 AM »
Hi all. First post here.

I made a roguelike library in C++ called Easy Roguelike (EZRL) Library. It was originally intended to offer a better introduction to roguelike development than the tutorial called, "Terror in an ascii dungeon". I thought if I created a MSVC++ downloadable solution that is open source and offer a small getting started guide, beginners might find some use for it. To my knowledge very few people have tried it.

So I thought I would announce it to this community. It, of course, is not intended to compete with more mature and better libraries like libtcod. It is just supposed to be quick and easy. It was originally intended as a stepping stone so that a newbie programmer could see how I made the demo program. In fact, I am hesitant to call it a tutorial since I do not want to be responsible if I am teaching any bad habits or incorrect info. ;)

The code is fully documented and the user guide is about half finished. The code is not in a final release yet and I will probably update it in the future.

I am using it to develop a rl now and I hope to have a first release shortly. Just thought others might get a kick out of it.

You can check it out at: http://dephbokks.com/dephbokks-programming-article.html

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: New simple roguelike library for C++
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:34:33 AM »
Congrats on this and welcome to the Roguetemple.   8)  More varied teaching aids and examples the better I say!

It will be interesting to see how everything comes together in the end for a fully wrought Roguelike.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

joe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:43:15 AM »
Something a bit simpler than libtcod is good news for beginning C++ programmers. I'm going to post a link to this library in Monday's Roguelike News Grab.
The Roguelike News Grab - A digest of news from the roguelike community.

dephbokks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, getter77.

And Joe: cool, thanks. Yeah, the first 'lesson' the user completes in the ezrl guide is to get the '@' on the screen and move it around. What could be more simple than that? Sometimes that is the barrier to the newbie and once he gets something on the screen moving things around there is that 'aha!' moment.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:16 AM »
Wow :o, I like it. I have not looked at in depth so I dont know its limitations, but I ran the tutorial and got the '@' running around. Good stuff.

Keep it up, I am sure new developers (especially ones who are just starting to learn c++) will really appreciate what you are doing.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike