Author Topic: Greeks  (Read 27111 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greeks
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:18 AM »
So what do you think abou the situation in Greece? I think it was a mistake to join them to EU, if you think it now, but the expansion politics of EU have been quite stupid. I don't know why they can't just kick Greece out of EU instead of giving shitload of money to already corrupted country.

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • LambdaRogue .:. roguelike RPG
Re: Greeks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
I'm not sure about joining the EU, because I don't know how the situation was in 1981 (the date when they joined).

Probably it was a mistake to join the EURO currency.

Kicking somebody out is not that easy -- there are contracts and rules to follow.

Besides that ... the whole situation makes me feel uneasy. I'm unsure how this will end.
https://mariodonick.itch.io/lambdarogue-the-book-of-stars
-- LR: The Book of Stars graphical roguelike RPG

PaulBlay

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
I'm unsure how this will end.

Rocks fall, everybody dies.  :P

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
I want to join the EU

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
Solving a debt problem with more debt doesn't make any sense in my opinion.
We (the E.U.) should allow Greece to go bankrupt; this wll result in the euro going down for a while but then I'm sure it will be better for it in the long run; that would clean the system and allow confidence to return to the euro, showing to the world that Europe doesn't tolerate fiscally irresponsible countries.
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
This would be better for Europe and also for Greece.

The only reason why we still haven't "kicked them out" (as Krice says, haha) is because of the strong influence central banks hold on the whole european political and mediatic system.
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Chex Warrior

• Rogueliker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cacodaemonical
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »
It's depressing that those bank workers had to die because of all this crap...

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »
Looks like Goldman Sachs employees already took precautions.. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=ahD2WoDAL9h0

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I don't know why they can't just kick Greece out of EU instead of giving shitload of money to already corrupted country.

I'm puzzled why so often it is stated that the countries "give money". If I understood right, the money is lent, and the interest rate will be about 5%

This means  the Greece get fairly cheap credit, but they must pay it all back, plus the interest rates. So the giving countries actually earn money from the deal (they can lend the money for less than 5% themselves, I heard of about 2 or 3%). Thus I do not understand why everyone whines about the money given to Greece. The deal actually will make the other countries richer in the end.

I'm puzzled about the different information that I get and the talk around it.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
And what about this greek-themed roguelike that was a joint project of rgrd several years ago?

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »
Hajo, if you think it's such a good deal why don't you lend Greece half of your savings?  :D
Ok, seriously the reason why no one (not even China) wanted to lend Greece anything is simple: having no economic plan, having no growth, they will never be able to pay back and the debt will inflate away. Being Greece unable to access cash from the markets, Euro countries would provide up to two thirds of the loans. Furthermore, keeping a fiscally irresponsible country like Greece - as I said before - is for sure a bad move to incentive trust in our currency in the long term.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
A shame not even Zeus can help them now.

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 09:32:34 PM »
Why blame Greece?
There's a whole market for parasites out there, sucking the country dry and planting economic nukes to dismantle the Euro Currency altogether. All in light of further soaking up money in the process. To them its a business opportunity and at that, especially one they'd like repeated as much as possible. This has such a bad taste of managers gone crazy again it makes me feel nauseous.
Yes, greece had some government issues but the real demon comes dressed in Armani and thrives on unregulated markets.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
Why blame Greece?

EU can be blamed as well, because the way money is distributed. It's too easy to get EU money. I think the whole EU was a bad idea, and it's going to bite back sooner or later.