Author Topic: World of Tey -- core  (Read 9170 times)

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
World of Tey -- core
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
This is a quick rundown of how I'm going to do the basic core of XirrelaiRPG 2.0.0: World of Tey.

-- Firstly, every different gameplay-thing is its own object. This contains the minutiae and specifics of the thing, such as variables that control the stats, name, type, and so on.

-- These are arranged into groups with similar properties with parent objects that contain the most basic behavior common to each group(e.g. Items can be picked up, creatures die when they're killed...) and a super parent object called "entity" which simply contains everything that's going to have a direct effect on gameplay, i.e. terrain, creatures, items, and effects.

-- Everything's x- and y-coordinates will be divisible by 32 anyway, and the play area will be an 18*18 grid, so the set of x- and y- coordinates will be converted into a single value  between 0 and 323. I am going to call this number the "position value".

-- Whenever an entity wants to perform an action that might affect other entities, such as moving, it first calls all possible entities that it might affect and test their position values against the position values being affected. If a hit is detected, the entity affected will send back its name(for use in status messages) its type number(so we can tell what to do with it), its instance number (so we can refer back to it when the effect takes place) and any other information that might determine what happens (such as the faction of a creature). The to-hit roll will take place elsewhere, so we don't need to include stats in this information right away.

-- Finally, all this combines so we can tell what happens when you bump into something or use any other command.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: World of Tey -- core
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
-- Everything's x- and y-coordinates will be divisible by 32 anyway, and the play area will be an 18*18 grid, so the set of x- and y- coordinates will be converted into a single value  between 0 and 323. I am going to call this number the "position value".

Why do you need a position value like that?

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »
Well, it's just for convenience really, and so I won't need to track a whole bunch of position-related variables for each entity. I could use their raw coordinates, but GM7's "If object at position" action isn't very reliable, so I patch it up myself. Originally I was going to do something different and it would've been a bigger help there

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:38:33 AM »
but GM7's "If object at position" action isn't very reliable

You could try a real programming language you know.

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »
You have no right to insult my programming language. It's perfectly real and valid; people just think it isn't because it has a good interface.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:49:21 PM by Pteriforever »

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »
You have no right to insult my programming language.

It was not an insult. Just an observation of GM's "programming" language, what the hell ever it is. I suggest you learn a real programming language to avoid having problems like that.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
Don't mind Krice too much - he's quite judgmental about a lot of things. Use whatever language and tools suit you and make a neat game.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
Yeah, there are several awesome games created with GameMaker, so it must be good enough.

Although there is one important problem with them: it seems it is hard to run them on non-Windows.

And I think there is a good design rule that the underlying model of a game should be separated from the UI. Having coordinates divisible by 32 (which is because tiles have 32 pixels, I assume) breaks this rule.