Author Topic: Looking for Overworld/Story/Theme!  (Read 10712 times)

mrrstark

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Looking for Overworld/Story/Theme!
« on: May 11, 2013, 03:13:04 AM »
I'm finding that I have a very hard time getting into pure "this is another dungeon, get to the bottom" RLs.

For example, I love:
  • ADOM
  • Caves of Qud
  • Cataclysm
  • Tome 4's ok

But despite how objectively good & loved they are, I cannot for the life of me get into:
  • Crawl
  • Brogue
  • Angband
  • Lots of the minimalist or puzzly ones

Can you guys suggest others that I should check out?

I like having an overworld, non-linearity is a plus, multiple locations to visit, secrets to find, depth, lots of theme...

Thanks!

guest509

Re: Looking for Overworld/Story/Theme!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:40:02 AM »
DoomRL?

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Rogue survivor?

Dwarf fortress for something completely different (although you may as well wait for df2013 if you haven't played it yet)

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
Check out Ragnarok.  It doesn't have a world map you can travel on, but all of the areas in the game are very distinct, and you can travel to whichever ones you want in whatever order you want.  It's got lots of really cool secret areas and items, and its main quest is a non-linear list of quests rather than a single linear storyline.  You don't even have to do every item on the list to win.

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
Sadly, there aren't so many polished RLs with a strong setting. I do suspsect a lot of people are hammering away at their personal holy grails, though. ;) Anyway, you should definitely check out Legerdemain, it is much in the vein of ADOM and CoQ. Also, Gearhead (and GH 2) might interest you. I also believe Incursion focused on a rich setting, but I haven't really played it myself.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Nymphaea

• Rogueliker
  • Maria Fox
    • View Profile
    • Nymphaea.ca
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
Are you focusing mostly on roguelikes? Unfortunately most roguelikes tend to be purely dungeon crawling with little story, but there are plenty of games with roguelike elements, or even commercial roguelikes that could work.

The mystery dungeon series can be quite fun, and there is a wide variety to choose from. Shiren the Wanderer is generally the favourite of them, although there is also all the pokemon ones, if you're into that :P The mystery dungeon games are on plenty of platforms, including some easy to emulate, if you wish to try before actually investing in any. Similar to those is the two Izuna games for the NDS, which are the type of games that some people love and others hate.

The best other example of a game that could work is Zelda games, which tend to be open world adventure games focusing around dungeon crawling, but usually with a storyline. I recently reviewed two Zelda Classic quests, which are user made Zelda games using the Zelda Classic engine, for my site, both of which were quite fun. End of Time DX has little story, but Lost Isle has story to it as well as a massive overworld to explore, with secrets everywhere. There's hundreds of quests available for Zelda Classic, so you can always look to find some good ones. Another two popular quests with storylines are Light of the Heavens DX and it's sequel Darkness Within, although I haven't personally tried them yet.