Author Topic: RL book and 7DRL Challenge involvement  (Read 9270 times)

dlcraddock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RL book and 7DRL Challenge involvement
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
Greetings to all 7DRL gladiators!

I am writing a book entitled Dungeon Crawls & Treasure Trawls. The book covers the history of the roguelike genre, how the genre evolved from game to game, the state of the genre today, and how the genre's mechanics have influenced games that one might not categorize as a "pure roguelike." (You can learn more about me and my work, including my upcoming book "Stay Awhile and Listen," at www.davidlcraddock.com)

This morning I received an invite to the 7DRL challenge. I'm considering dusting off my programming skills and participating, but regardless of my participation, I'd like to document YOUR participation in a special chapter of Dungeon Crawls & Treasure Trawls.

Here's how it would work. For those interested, I would give you a call each day and we would talk about your game's progress: the concept you started with, your schedule and work environment, challenges and how you overcame them, how the concept changed along the way, the mechanics at the heart of your game and how you went about designing and implementing them, the sacrifices you made in order to get the game done on time, and so forth--essentially chronicling each participant's personal journey, your reasons for participating, and culminating in how your project turned out and what you learned.

I would then take our interviews and flesh them out into a full chapter in Dungeon Crawls & Treasure Trawls devoted to the 7DRL. I'd probably use the content in other ways, such as splicing interview excerpts together, weaving a narrative around them, and turning it into a 2-plus-hour audio story available for download, or packaged with the book.

Who would be interested in doing this? I'm looking for at least 5 volunteers, but if 30 people or more wanted to participate, I would do my best to accommodate everyone. We would chat over Skype once each day, at a time convenient for you, for roughly 20 minutes or as long as needed to cover anything you wanted to talk about for that day.

Please let me know if you are interested. Feel free to chime in here or send me an email at david@davidlcraddock.com with your contact information.

Thank you in advance for any interest, and best of luck to all of you!

ejg_dnd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RL book and 7DRL Challenge involvement
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
I might contact you with information.

Anyways, I would recommend posting this announcement on 7drl.org.

Quendus

• Rogueliker
  • $@ \in \{1,W\} \times \{1,H\}$
    • View Profile
    • Klein Roguelikes
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »
I might consider this. My email is this username at google's email domain.

I'd advise not posting this more than once to each website/forum, as that might be considered spam... As well as potentially spreading out the replies between different threads.

guest509

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »
  I'm in man. And I'm pumped.  ;D