Author Topic: [7DRL 2023] Murder Most Foul (success)  (Read 6619 times)

LoneSpelunker

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
[7DRL 2023] Murder Most Foul (success)
« on: March 14, 2023, 06:47:37 AM »
Murder Most Foul is my 7DRL entry that casts you as a brilliant detective called to a spooky mansion to investigate a murder.

Playable in the browser at: lonespelunker.itch.io/murder-most-foul

First, the game creates a procedurally-generated murder mystery.  Then, you wander around the mansion in standard roguelike fashion, collecting clues, interviewing suspects, analyzing evidence, etc.

Then, you use your "Mind Castle" to track and organize your deductions.  All the clues put together should allow you to discover who the murderer is, the weapon they used, the room they committed the murder in, and what their motive was.  Make your accusation, and if you're correct, you win!

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  I didn't quite get in as much content as I'd hoped in the seven-day time frame, but that's always the case, and I think I got enough in for it to be satisfying to play multiple times with multiple mysteries.  So far, people who have played and commented seem to like it, which is encouraging!

One weird fun fact:  The tileset for the game is a bizarre 13x26.  It just kinda fell out that way while I was dinking around in Photoshop because I wanted a low-res presentation and I wanted tiles with a "center" pixel.  So it started out as 13x13, but then I found I wanted some "tall" tiles like for the back walls and the tall windows.  Rather than cobble the walls and windows out of multiple tiles, I just decided to try making each tile double-height, and it seemed to work.

spillz

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: [7DRL 2023] Murder Most Foul (success)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 02:36:03 PM »
Big fan of the presentation and concept! 👍 Haven't had a chance to dig in yet but looking forward to this weekend.

LoneSpelunker

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: [7DRL 2023] Murder Most Foul (success)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 02:52:35 PM »
Big fan of the presentation and concept! 👍 Haven't had a chance to dig in yet but looking forward to this weekend.

Nice, hope you enjoy it!