Author Topic: Different methods for loading/saving  (Read 21153 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Different methods for loading/saving
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 09:19:10 PM »
Obviously your kind of commentary would have a difficult time in an opt-in environment like twitter or a moderated environment like reddit.

I like forums because people often do something specific to that forum, so they are something. Except some random people who just throw in comments like it was Reddit. Like, you are not a roguelike developer, right? You just want to comment, like they do in Reddit. People of Reddit don't have any skills, they just want to comment stuff. I guess it's ok if they all stay there, but it may be too much to hope.

mushroom patch

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 11:37:15 PM »
I agree that reddit sucks, but not because people aren't actually interested in the subjects of their subreddits.

As I've said before, Krice, your commentary seems pretty vainglorious, given how little you produce and how much you talk about it. Judging by the questions you ask and your commentary on technical subjects, you don't seem to know anything about anything. If you're a roguelike developer, the bar for claiming to be one is too low for the term to have any meaning.

chooseusername

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:28 AM »
I agree that reddit sucks, but not because people aren't actually interested in the subjects of their subreddits.

As I've said before, Krice, your commentary seems pretty vainglorious, given how little you produce and how much you talk about it. Judging by the questions you ask and your commentary on technical subjects, you don't seem to know anything about anything. If you're a roguelike developer, the bar for claiming to be one is too low for the term to have any meaning.
You're not wrong, but..

As I've said before, mushroom patch, your commentary seems pretty vainglorious, given how little you produce and how much you talk about it. If you're a roguelike developer, the bar for claiming to be one is too low for the term to have any meaning.

mushroom patch

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »
I think there's a difference between talking about development in general and harping on one's own projects, making favorable comparisons between them and everything else in existence, etc. The latter is what, to me, seems vainglorious about the Krice act.

I note that you don't seem to want to engage my point about worthwhile technical input on those rare occasions that anyone really wants it/is engaged enough for it to matter. In view of the way Krice talks about such matters, the fact that he claims to be producing something great, which no one has ever seen and any common sense reading of his participation makes very dubious, is the entire justification for his commentary. I don't think it's unfair to judge it on those grounds. I don't think not having made any releases disqualifies anyone from being critical on these grounds either.

sokol815

• Rogueliker
  • Web Developer by Day, still Web Developer by night
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
I'm still a bit confused by the record/playback saving model. If you have thousands of turns will the code have to go through them all one by one resolving them each time? It seems like it might be quite an inefficient way of doing things with AI and everything, also I imagine any bugs at all would cause a lot of issues as the rest of the playback would be broken from that point on. I can't seem to get my head around the idea properly. I have got an animation system in place, but it would be possible to add a "playback" flag which skips to the end of any animations without playing them so I think it would still be possible.

I have managed to implement a different load/save method that seems to work ok.

Each class has a create() and a restoreFromSave(_saveObject) method.
The first one is used when creating the object for the first time and the second when restoring from a save file.

It seems to work without too many problems, but every single new variable I add to each class needs to be stored and reloaded properly which is a bit of a pain. Is that normal for a game of this type?

I am writing the game in Javascript which doesn't have a way of serialising "classes" unfortunately. I'm not really using much OOP to be honest, just have javascript style "classes" that can store data and contain functions as well which I've realised can't all be saved together.

I too am developing roguelikes in javascript. My project (strife) has been developed with a very similar method of load/save implementation. Here is an example of a class that I load/save: https://github.com/gregbillings/strife/blob/master/src/js/resource.js.

I have a central function that performs the basic copy for all savable objects. (https://github.com/gregbillings/strife/blob/master/src/js/jsRL.js#L728)

Each "class" keeps a list of shallow fields that are trivially copyable. The save/load functions on the class take care of the other variables (usually savable classes/arrays themselves). the 'constructor' for the class also includes a check to see if the first passed variable is actually a saved instance. If so, we pass it through to the load function. This results in being able to pass a saved version of the object when instantiating a new instance of the object in question.

e.g.
Code: [Select]
//create new object
var life = new jsRL.resource('HP', 'red', 15, 15, 1 / 800 ); //name, color, max, current, recovery rate/time

//save the object:
var save = JSON.stringify(life.save());
//save now looks like this: "{"name":"HP","displayColor":"red","current":15,"max":15,"recoveryTime":{"base":0.00125,"delta":0},"recoveryBucket":0}"

//restore object
life = new jsRL.resource(JSON.parse(save));

This way, adding a trivial variable with a basic data-type is easily done by simply appending it to the list of shallow variables specific to your class you are saving/loading. While still annoying, it is significantly less so than a pure ad-hoc implementation.

As for random number generation: I found a useful prng called seedrandom (see https://github.com/gregbillings/strife/blob/master/src/js/seedrandom.js for the copy I use.) It allows you to instantiate a new random with a given seed to always get the same results. With some modifications, it could be made to allow you to save it's current state into a json object to be saved and loaded again at a future date.

As far as securing the environment against a malicious user goes, the javascript environment is a particularly poor choice for attack-resistant implementation.

If people want to play honestly, they will do so, if they don't, they will find ways to circumvent whatever you can throw at them. The only real exception to this is server + dumb client interactions... but that is a topic for another time.

In short, my approach is to assume that if a player wants to scum, or modify their "1d4" sword to be a "1d4+100" sword, they can do that. Hardcore rl players would never do something like that, though... as they are looking to beat the game, not the code.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:54:58 PM by sokol815 »