Author Topic: Favorite 7DRL so far  (Read 25952 times)

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Favorite 7DRL so far
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »
What's everyone's favorite 7DRL of this year?

I haven't tried very many yet, but PrincessRL is fantastic.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
Re: Favorite 7DRL so far
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:03:06 PM »
PrincessRL is also my favourite so far - it really has such charm.  I still need to play more though.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
We have to make sure that each of them is tested by somebody ;) Otherwise everyone will play PrincessRL and say it is the best. It was much easier in the first years, when it was easy and quick to play everything oneself.

My comments so far:

RULER - the download did not work...
Smart Kobolds - good, as Jeff Lait's 7DRLs usually are
Toby the Trapper - the most of the game if the same challenge (kill ogres with banger traps) repeated many times. I don't know why I would use other traps (at least for the usual ogres), I also have to make sure that I won't be hit from around the corner. It gets quite boring. I would add more special enemies, or reduce the number of levels (those without gems or special enemies are unnecessary, also I would prefer to be told that I don't have to search every single cell to make sure that there is no gem on the level), or make them easier to navigate safely. (Edit: oh, I see this looks too negative. I liked it, but there are some improvements:) )

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
I think this thread may as well be used for 7drl reviews in general.

I just tried Arima: Desdemona's Fall.

It looks nice, and it can be played in a browser, which is really convenient when you've got like 80 games to try.

Unfortunately, the game currently has no variety.  You don't get ranged attacks, spells, or special skills, and as far as I can tell, every level is identical other than stronger enemies, better items and different tiles.  In its current state it's more about farming/grinding than tactical play.

There's clearly a good bit of content that's planned but hasn't yet been implemented yet, so hopefully future versions have more options and content.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
RULER - the download did not work...

What error are you getting? it works here..

Gravecat

• Newcomer
  • Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
    • MSN Messenger - gravecat@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gravecat666
    • View Profile
    • Gravecat: Blogging Like It's 1999
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
I know this is going to sound terribly droll, but can any of you fine folks tell me where to actually find these oft-mentioned 7DRLs? :) I'm fairly new to the roguelike community, so I'm really not so clear on details like this.
My goals in life include world domination, buying a really cool hat, and travelling back in time in order to warn myself not to eat that potato salad.
SUDD: An all-new sci-fi/fantasy roguelike in the making!

ywgdana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:06:48 AM »
The main page of roguetemple.com has an article linking to the full list of entrants.

"2010 7DRL Challenge is over, results!"

Gravecat

• Newcomer
  • Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
    • MSN Messenger - gravecat@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gravecat666
    • View Profile
    • Gravecat: Blogging Like It's 1999
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
The main page of roguetemple.com has an article linking to the full list of entrants.

"2010 7DRL Challenge is over, results!"

Aha, so it does! Well, now I feel silly. But thanks :)
My goals in life include world domination, buying a really cool hat, and travelling back in time in order to warn myself not to eat that potato salad.
SUDD: An all-new sci-fi/fantasy roguelike in the making!

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:03 AM »

Toby the Trapper - the most of the game if the same challenge (kill ogres with banger traps) repeated many times. I don't know why I would use other traps (at least for the usual ogres), I also have to make sure that I won't be hit from around the corner. It gets quite boring. I would add more special enemies, or reduce the number of levels (those without gems or special enemies are unnecessary, also I would prefer to be told that I don't have to search every single cell to make sure that there is no gem on the level), or make them easier to navigate safely. (Edit: oh, I see this looks too negative. I liked it, but there are some improvements:) )

I was worried that maybe I should have cut out the unneeded levels, but ultimately decided that more content can't be too bad and hoped the basical gameplay would be fun enough.  However I guess overall there's not enough variety to the traps and not enough difficult enemies - limits to what I could accomplish in 7 days.  I think for the Director's Cut I'll reduce the number of levels to 13, ensuring there's content on every one.

Thanks for the feedback  :)

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
I really liked Madness, by hmp!

I have fun playing it and it's got potentials (many interactions possible with sanity, like dark magic, ancient artifacts, drugs.. like the Cthulu pen and paper role playing game).

I hope the work on this game will be keeped on.

I have to say I also liked A LOT PrincessRL, A Quest Too Far and Ascii Dash.. but Madness is my favourite 2010 7DRL.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:16:18 PM by Skeletor »
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

FaerĂșth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »
I did not play much 7DRLs yet, but I really enjoyed Toby the Trapper.
The concept is innovative (I think, at least it's the first trap-laying game I played) and the difficulty level is quite good in my opinion. Some more special abilities for the enemies would be a good improvement.