Author Topic: Rogue creator has blog.  (Read 23666 times)

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Rogue creator has blog.
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
For those who haven't seen it yet (I hadn't), one of the creators of Rogue has a blog. It's located here: http://toyblog.typepad.com/lemon/ . There is also an address for his house on his homepage, and living near Sacramento California, I am highly tempted to drive down in the hopes of meeting him. But alas, my visit would probably not be appreciated. Still, might send him home baked cookies some time. Or if the Roguelike community ever wanted to present him with some sort of plaque or statue or something, I could hand deliver it. Or not.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue creator has blog.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:33:46 AM »
Heh, well isn't that interesting.  Oddly enough, the first thought that came to my mind once this entire Onlive saga started to unfold is the scary possibilities of using such a system with Dwarf Fortress as the years, presumably, tick on and the game's development, presumably, continues along at a good pace with proper achievements.

Especially the spectating possibilities.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »
Sending him a statue is a nice idea, we must build on it. Anybody can coordinate such thing with Elig?

We must get into designing the statue, which must definitively have an @ on it, and a message plaque below (Perhaps with a phrase like "To the creator of Rogue - 30 years of random goodness" or something like that)

Ideas welcome

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
Heh, given the amount of deaths we are accustomed to in roguelikes, it would be funny (or morbid) to send him a gravestone with what you just described.

Code: [Select]

Here lies @, human adventurer
            Died on level 1

Turn 1 - 1359

But yeah, "To the creator of Rogue - 30 years of random goodness" is pretty awesome!
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
That Jesus stuff is pretty scary.

purpleflayer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »
What a find!  To see one of the persons who we must thank.  And a nice person too! :)  But maybe I don't know what he will think, if we send him a gravestone. ;)

That Jesus stuff is pretty scary.

I am not sure what you are referring to.  Even if you do not believe what he does, this is not scary even at all!

magellan

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:03:51 AM »
The entry about the tilted monitors really made me chuckle loudly :)

mtoy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »
Since only 6 people in the entire world ever read the Rogue creator's blog, he tends to notice traffic bumps.  A mention on the Temple of the Roguelike was my "I just got slashdotted" event.

No cookies or statues are needed.  To see the respect that game still gets after these many years is gift enough, I am extremely grateful.

The idea of a giant granite "@" is kind of amusing though.  Maybe a "Tomb of the Unknown Rogue" could be created and stashed somewhere.  It could be a pilgrimage site for all lovers of roguelikes.  Where would you put such a thing?  On a University campus?

We joke at Onlive all the time about getting a roguelike running on the service, I suspect it will happen at some point.

Anyway, here's a friendly wave.

-Michael

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:37:44 AM »
Welcome to the Temple! /waves back

In terms of a Roguelike on Onlive....care to elaborate in regards to such delicious aerial pie?  For instance, what would be something(s) that would set apart a Roguelike designed with Onlive in mind from the ground up as opposed to just something that could perhaps one day be ported like Dwarf Fortress?

I've often wondered about a Roguelike Hedgemaze....
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:52:04 AM »
Hello there Mr. Toy, it's nice to see you here!

The idea of a giant granite @ is awesome, we must look forward to some of our artists doing that, possibly on their homes? we could have @'s scattered all around the world, and have pictures taken from them and stashed on a website  :)

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »
Hello there Mr. Toy, it's nice to see you here!

The idea of a giant granite @ is awesome, we must look forward to some of our artists doing that, possibly on their homes? we could have @'s scattered all around the world, and have pictures taken from them and stashed on a website  :)

Heh, if they were big enough it'd probably drive the Google Earth people insane.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training