Author Topic: Promising Rogue game, help me make it back with the amulet!  (Read 20378 times)

Nemesis1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dilemmas in the Dungeons of Doom!

I am in dire need of help with Rogue now! Please, I'd be so very happy if you offered your experience and talent to help me survive the Dungeons of Doom!

I never had a start better than this one and I really want to aim for a victory now, even though I have played Rogue very little never got further than 17 before (and the worst monsters I met were Trolls, Wraiths and Phantoms (Invisible Stalkers in other versions of Rogue), I never met the really though one even though I was at a deep enough level for Xorns (Ur-Viles/Black Unicorns) I didn't meet any before I ended up as Troll food.
This is what my game looks like right now, you can also download my saved game or my Notepad .txt where I wrote down some of the identifications. But please note that I'm not cheating/scumming in any way, I just want good advice!

-I'm at dungeon level 10
-I'm at experience level 7
-I'm carrying a Two-Handed Sword which hopefully is encanted once (had a couple of more swords of the same type and the possibility that I dropped the enchanted one could exist
-I have Armour Class 8 (aka 2) when wearing a Banded Mail, enchanted one time
-I also have a Leather Armour (AC 3 aka 7) and one unidentified Splint Mail along with THREE Enchant Armour Scrolls!
-I have a Staff of Teleport Away (used once, remaining number of charges unknown)
-I have Staff of Polymorph (also used one time only and without knowledge of remaining charges)
-When I tried Polymorph a Zombie it was turned into a Xeroc (aka Mimic) but I beat it without any trouble even though I wore just my Leather Armour at that time
-I have 4 Food Rations
-I have the Ring of Stealth (not worn, but maybe useful on deeper levels when I make a run for the Amulet)
-I have a Strenght Score of 18/18
-I have identified useful stuff like Scroll Of Hold Monster and Potion Of Paralysis (which can be used as a paralysing weapon infinte times in this version of Rogue, but I identified them by quaffing/reading so I have to find new ones before they can be of use
-I know which potions Restore Strenght and Gain Strengt are and Blind can be identified by hitting monsters in melee with it, therefore I can safely quaff potions without worrying about Poison as soon as I find another Restore Strenght potion
-I have a maximum health of 52
-I have no Ring of Slow Digestion or Ring of Searching (yet)
-I still haven't found the Scroll of Scare Monster, unless if it's one of my two unidentified Scrolls, same goes for Vorpalize Weapon
-I have my original bow left which i can use to fire my 20+ arrows and I also have 8 darts which I can throw at baddies

This is my Armour dilemma:
-I don't know what to do with my 3 Scrolls of Enchant Armour, if I used them on my Banded Mail I'd get an AC of 11 (-1) which could help me if I reach the really deep levels but leaves me vulnerable to Aquators (Rust Monsters)
-I could wear my Leather Armour or none at all most of the time and put on my Enchanted Banded Mail (AC of 11/-1) when I need to do so to survie, but then I'd have to take two hits while switching armour in battle
-I could just wear that Banded armour and hope to find a Ring of Maintan Armour or that Aquators won't hit me, but they seem to hit rather well, even Rogues with good AC
-I could enchant my Leather Armour to get an AC of 6 (4 in versions where low AC is good) but that could make me vulnerable late in the game
-I could try the Splint Mail and use that one, but I don't have any Scrolls of Identify or Remove Curse (but I've identified both) and I don't want to waste Scroll of Enchant Armour in case it's cursed

Here is another dilemma when it comes to searching:

-Is it worth the cost of food and the risk of running into unlucky encounters with bad guys like Rattkesnakes to search until I've found all those secret rooms, in this version of Rogue you still use up lots of food on yout way back home after finding the Amulet - as I said I have neither a Ring of Searching nor the Ring of Slow Digestion
I also have a dilemma of my Polymorph wand:
-is it really that useful except for really desperate situations where you have no other escape items and it doesn't matter if you get a Dragon or Medusa (Umber Hulk) as you're about to die anyway.
-Meeting a late monster at this stage in the game could have spelled my doom, that I got a Xeroc (Mimic) rather than another equally high-level monster was really fortunate
-Even later in the game this wand seems risky, if I use it on a Medusa I'm probably confused already and what if I get a Griffin, Jabberwock (Purple Worm) or Dragon then? And if I polymorph one of those three monsters I lose the fantastic xp and loot reward that could have given me if I were to win the battle
Here's a dilemma regarding traps:
-Trapdoors seem to get more and more common the deeper you go in the dungeon, when you make a run for the Amulet they're probably a good thing but what if I run into one on level 26? If I don't have a Ring of Searching by then I risk falling to a deeper level without the Amulet! Sure, I know that there are new amulets on every level after 26 but I've also heard that monsters are twice as fast if you go deeper and that survival is almost impossible there!
-What happens if I run into trapdoors on my way up, considering that I can't find new loot on my way back to the surface I'm probably risking starvation unless I've found a Ring of Slow Digestion (preferably two)
-A sleep trap with some bad company in the room could also be the end of my adventure

-This is only the seventh or so game of Rogue that I play, but I've read all the spoilers I've found and I know that I can't get a much batter start than this, unless I manage to find and identify two Rings of Slow Digestion plus a Scroll of Scare monster, in which case the whole nature of the game would chance, and time would suddenly be on my side and allow unlimited grinding (a spoiler I actually figured out myself!)
-I know there are lots of experienced players who players never won Rogue but I really want to do the impossible so please help me!

Thanks in advance for your advice, sorry for sloppy spelling/grammar, wrote the post in a hurry and never bothered to tidy it up but you'll understand anyway!

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
Re: Promising Rogue game, help me make it back with the amulet!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
And so, Rodney starved to the death

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
Heheheh, yeah, it was pretty lame for noone to say anything.

Truth is, I've never really played Rogue much, when there seem to be so many "improved" or developed-upon variants!
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »
When you play rogue, you know there are better games... but how can you can yourself a roguelike player if you dont challenge yourself with it? it is something special :)

But it is impossible to win...

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:20:35 PM »
Heheheh, yeah, it was pretty lame for noone to say anything.

Yeah, sorry, man.  I don't think many of us have actually won a game of Rogue, so we didn't really have advice to get any further than you were.