Author Topic: DoomRL - Which Version is Best?  (Read 10893 times)

guest509

DoomRL - Which Version is Best?
« on: December 25, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
  I've heard (read) talk that maybe an older build of DoomRL was a bit more fun. Simpler? More straight forward?

I'd like to know what version to get. Are there still older builds available?

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DoomRL - Which Version is Best?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »
Unfortunately I can't remember any specific version numbers. I do remember enjoying the versions where the different play modes and difficulty settings were all or mostly available at the beginning of the game instead of requiring the player to unlock them first.

Not sure where the older versions are anymore. The main download page only seems to have the most recent version of the game and the older version right before the most recent.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
Nah, play the latest version.

My main problem with DoomRL these days is that it's a bit too long for the amount of content that it has (it's 25 levels but gets kinda boring after 17-18 levels).

This could be fixed by either making the late game more interesting, or making the game a bit shorter - but it's still pretty much my favorite roguelike so I'd say whatever flaw it may have it's worth overlooking for all the stuff the game gets right.

I was never really bothered by the unlockable stuff as it's mostly not stuff I'm hugely interested in when coming to the game after a long while of not playing it (or, I suspect, had I played it for the first time when unlockable stuff were already there).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:10:15 PM by ido »

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
Probably something I said...I loved this game 5ish years ago I think.

Just play the latest. Roguelike players are all different and different things appeal to different players. 

I do think the game is a little to long, it has lost some of its coffee-break goodness, but I guess it is still hell of a game. 
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
A new version seems primed to come out in a couple-few weeks as per the Chaosforge Twitter feed, so you might be best served by waiting a tad longer as it is.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
I was under the impression that the new version is actually a little longer and they removed the Angel of Haste game mode. I usually preferred to play angel of haste since it made the game progress twice as fast.

Still not sure I even still want to play since my hd crashed and I lost my player profile. It took so long to unlock everything I did already, I don't really feel like having to do it all over again.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
In the last version you have to choose your initial class (medic, technician, marine) so some players still prefere the penultimate, but that's it.

What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Trisk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
I've enjoyed the latest version always, unlocking stuff is the only 'detriment'(just some higher difficulties/challenges) but it's nice to get rewarded/achievement unlocks. The new class playstyle is great as each one has a different playstyle for each of the weapons resulting in many different ways to win.

Always play the latest, in my opinion.