Author Topic: BeaRLibMG Project  (Read 5997 times)

JustHarry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
BeaRLibMG Project
« on: October 10, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »
Hello everyone  :)

I would like to present you our small project, BeaRLibMG(Map Generators).

You can find sources\dll\demo there:
http://rlgclub.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=607

It's written in Pascal(FPC), you can use sources and DLL, which works in C++\Pascal\Delphi etc. (i think that it works normally, i checked it in C++ project, all was good ;) )

This is a young project, but I think we can make it better.

Welcome any feedback, suggestions, bug reports, etc.

In the future I will add documentation(and how to generate map in C++) and examples with DLL.

Sorry for my Engrish

screens here:

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: BeaRLibMG Project
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
Looks very promising!  Keep at it.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
Re: BeaRLibMG Project
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:37:14 PM »
Whilst these are some very cool results, I would say that you should consider a bit more carefully how they would be applied in a game.  In particular a game map should avoid having dead ends - dead ends are boring to explore, and result in a lot of backtracking which is tedious for the player.  They also make life difficult if you get stuck.  Loops are much more interesting for tactical play and simply enjoyable dungeon exploring.

Also maps should have full connectivity, and that connectivity should always be 4-way only.  Diagonal links can be annoying for those playing on a laptop, whilst also looking bad in FOV and resulting in dangerous situations where you can't see a space till you move right next to it.

I'd also suggest have more feature based generators - instead of the same random forest, have some forced circular clearings and interesting copses here and there.  This is more like a real forest, and prevents the whole area from feeling very samey between replays.  Random content has the challenge of being containing as interesting scenarios as designed content, and not just through 1 in 100 chances.

Good to see work in FreePascal by the way.  I look forward to seeing more work put into this  :)