Author Topic: The small things  (Read 18308 times)

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
The small things
« on: May 16, 2008, 01:05:20 AM »
Was playtesting my own game tonight when I realised I was missing something :) hmm, my previous RL's never had any form of magic system, and CNC has a really nice framework... so David Bowie (a dangerous unique!) was on the edge of my unexplored map and fov... so I targgeted him and fireballed away..

Then I noticed one of those "small things"...

The fireball radiated out into open spaces but didnt light up the unlit squares... a little code hacking and now spells that radiate out will light up unexplored areas... It wont light up areas 'around' corners, the tiles must sill be in your unblocked line of sight.

Still needs a minor tweak (gas clouds should not light up any unexplored areas)...

--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: The small things
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:45:06 AM »
Good stuff!

It's small details like that that make a game seem "complex" enough for just another dive into the dungeon!

Also, if I saw a David Bowie, I'd run!
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

I_Own_The_Letter_O

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
Does David Bowie summon Spiders from Mars? I can imagine a lot of scope for bad jokes here (Goblin King from Labyrinth etc etc).

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »
no spiders. He might drop a crystal ball that you can use as a one-off to reveal a large portion of the map. He is represented by a pink @ sign :). Its best for new characters to avoid the Bowie, he will own your newbie ass. There is one other unique more owning than Bowie, that is Tsurugi the Streetfighter (classic old school kungfu movies.. aaaah). He is an orange @. Neither spawn near the start point tho so thats good, tho bowie can spawn close to it.

I like adding uniques... :)

--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--