Author Topic: MYRPG - Caves of Adventure - Beta 1  (Read 13665 times)

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
MYRPG - Caves of Adventure - Beta 1
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »
Here it is.

http://www.onemananimation.com/myrpg/index.html

Comments, suggestion and feedback, greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: MYRPG - Caves of Adventure - Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
YES!   8)    Congrats on making it to this stage, and for the love of all that is @,  keep at this!  I feel much potential to this...   ;D
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Hi

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:52:53 AM »
your errata page is 404
very pretty game for rogue like beta

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »
0.8.2 now exists

Game now uses timers to update display rather than as a response to each action.

A*/B- path finding implemented.

Monster intelligence implemented, and better AI. Certain monster can't equip/carry items, other will hunt out food etc, opening doors etc.

Made all the levels procedurally generated. With a single Labryrinthe level halfway thru.

More "intuitive" interface, including left-mouse-click and drag movement

Host of bugfixes

I will get to work helping out on this very soon, though my times at the moment are very.....rough.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »
I like the graphical style of the dungeon view in this one. Would be fine if the icons to the left matched that better, at the moment they appear a bit detached.

Very interesting project for sure :)

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback..

The icons on the left are "placeholder" graphics, and afaik are the only graphics (apart from the gunpowder barrels) that I haven't made myself, which is probably why they look a little "detached" from the rest of game.

At the moment I am wondering whether the "traditional fantasy" route is the best theme to go, or opt for something a bit different. I have a few ideas, but I want to clean up the code base, before embarking on a new direction.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »
Incase anyone was bothered I am upto version 0.8.8 which features a whole range of new features since 0.8.2, more monsters, better and more intuitive GUI, multiple LOAD|SAVE files, better creature AI, persistant chests and furniture etc....

http://www.onemananimation.com/myrpg/

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out how moving with a set number of turns works. It's a little weird because I can move so much further during a turn than I can see. It makes me kind of worried to move in any direction at all, because I might be squandering turns heading toward the wrong patch of darkness. I feel paralyzed. All in all I feel like I want shorter turns.

P.S. Extremely stoked about the system's potential. Reminds me a little of Jagged Alliance or Natuk.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »
Thank jim for the feedback regarding action points, I will try and balance that aspect for the next release, though I wanted to weight the game a little in the players favour, to compensate for "human error", and let people get a "feel" for the game. Though certainly I will incorporate "shorter" turns and see how it affects the gameplay.

Your "extremely stoked" reaction has ensured that I will spend another couple of weeks working on the game code, and graphics.

Every comment, is like manna from heaven...  :D

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
[edit] sorry wrong thread
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:10:13 AM by Skeletor »
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
I got to about 80% completion of this project, and decided that I didn't like the generic fantasy setting, as it didn't show off the best features of the game, and wasn't the game I wanted to make.
So I ditch the fantasy setting, (though the last incarnation can be seen at www.onemananimation.com/myrpg ) and have spent the last five months changing to a post-apocalyptic scenario, where you are in one small bunker trying to survive in a decimated town against/or with the other inhabitants.
However I don't think I will be releasing playable versions of this incarnation, until I am much closer to completing it.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:19 AM »
Some teaser screenshots,

Getting there.....