Author Topic: VBnetRogue: A Roguelike/RPG in VB.NET, and some questions needing answered.  (Read 6918 times)

jtokarchuk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
This is an attempt to make a Roguelike/RPG (some static towns, npc's, quests) in VB.net.

I do not have a playable binary currently, as the only functionality is moving around and opening/closing doors.

Current accomplishments:

Reading of map file (essentially a csv, eg. testmap.map) into a 2D array for static map display (towns). (06/07/2011)
Tile system (Creation of new tiles, collision based on tile properties) (06/08/2011)
Basic Entity class (Create a player or NPC with their own name, x, y , symbol) (06/08/2011)
Basic Command System (open doors, close doors, etc) (06/09/2011)
Simple Message Buffer (06/09/2011)
Creation of a basic town map (right now just an empty square with a room) (06/12/2011)
Reorganized all code into classes for readability (06/12/2011)

Next Up:

Creation of an NPC and in the future, interaction with them
Expanding entity class to have stats (hp, mp, etc)
Save/Load Procedure
Adding new tiles
Expanded Stats System
Classes
HUD (Heads up display)

The project home is at http://vbnetrogue.codeplex.com

I did have a few questions that I need, as this is my first time coding something like this.

1. For saving and loading, I'm using a flat file database. How can I intelligently implement this? I was thinking of a folder structure for a town as /maps/towns/testtown , and within there having folders for sign text, npc's, and whatnot. Are there any special considerations I should take into account when designing this?

2. What sort of underlying functions should I focus on to make my life easier in the long run? (Currently I have my own console writing class, enabling me to write wherever I want, specific colors, etc)

Currently I do not have any dungeon generation features implemented, but it will come. If anyone as visual basic experience, feedback on the source code would be appreciated. Any comments, or help would be appreciated too. (you can join the project on the codeplex page)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:55:19 PM by jtokarchuk »