Author Topic: Overworld generation  (Read 7480 times)

Xan

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Overworld generation
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:32:06 PM »
I couldn't find much about this by searching, so I thought I'd ask about it here:  how do you (who have implemented it) do overworld generation?  I'm not looking for something really fancy or an application of realistic processes to terrain data, but I do want something that looks decent and produces good variation, as well as being extendable...

Anyway, just wanted to know other RL developer's thoughts on the matter... here's the kind of thing I have so far with just a simple climate model based only on the topography and latitude of the overworld section:

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
Re: Overworld generation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
Never done it myself, but this is a decent guide by the maker of Dance of Death:

http://www.nolithius.com/game-development/world-generation-breakdown

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
The map on your screenshot already looks very good. Is there any problem with it?

Xan

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »
The map on your screenshot already looks very good. Is there any problem with it?

I don't know if you'd call it a problem exactly, but one example of something I was somewhat concerned about is the dry or desert areas, which are prone to appear in patches in the middle of nowhere.  Also I don't think the generation is consistently that good, so reliability is something I need to work on.