Author Topic: Elona: Original Developer Noa officially ceasing development, releasing source  (Read 10708 times)

DaedricPrime

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Elona, a Japanese roguelike (available in English) has been around for years, but the original creator has decided to move on.  He has, however, released the source code ( via a time-limited link in an announcement on the J side of the Elona forums) without any licensing restrictions.

On the English forums, there is a thread currently gauging interest in people continuing development of Elona.  If you are interesting in on working on one of the more quirky roguelikes around, and know a programming language ( especially HSP or C/Java/etc ) you might want to check out the English forums!

If you want to take a peak at the source (it's in a basic-like language called HSP ) take a look at the topmost forum sticky on the J side of the forums ( you can also use google translate to help fumble through if you don't know Japanese. )

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html

The site of this somewhat surprising news, though this sort of thing is one that I'd hope he updates with a front page news item.

Hopefully people keep Elona, game and engine, going in some form as it is already quite advanced and feature packed.  I'd imagine the Hot Soup Processing language component to be one of the rougher parts as, last I looked, documentation/guides on it in English at least barely, if at all, exist.   :-\
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

willraman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
This was one of the more intensive crazy roguelike games I involved myself in.

I surely hope someone keeps it going.

Nistenf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where is the source available?

willraman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Found some more info,

http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4777

Someone is taking up the project and it looks promising.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Good, here's hoping they can get things well underway and the releases happening.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training