Author Topic: Twilight - A multiplayer roguelike  (Read 29471 times)

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Twilight - A multiplayer roguelike
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:50:25 AM »
Because the author seems reluctant to publicize this game, I'll do it.  The game is called Twilight and is a multiplayer roguelike.  That's right, you can start a new character, grab some friends, and go adventuring across a pretty large world killing all kinds of monsters and collecting a wide variety of items.  You have to connect via telnet, and while instructions are found at the game's Roguebasin page, lazy Windows users (I know I'm one =P ) might find it easier to just use the batch file that I'll link to at the end of this post.  So take a look, because what good is a multiplayer roguelike without players?

Roguebasin page: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=TwilightMMORL
World map: http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/twilight/map.txt
Quick connect batch file: http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/twilight/twilight.bat

Remember, this is not my game.  The map and the Roguebasin page are not my work, and the game itself definitely isn't either.  I'm just posting it because pretty much the only other way to hear about the game is in the #rgrd IRC channel.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:20:00 PM by Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight - A multiplayer roguelike
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:51:56 AM »
It wasn't working for me when I tried earlier, but it seems to be going okay now.  Is there a better way to fight than just mashing the direction of the enemy?  Is there any way to interact with other payers beyond just kinda teaming up and going out together?

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:50:48 AM »
Okay, after tinkering with this for a little while, here's what I've found:

If you push 'a' your character will go into autoattack mode, where they automatically approach and attack enemies within their line of sight, so you can do that if you don't like to mash the directional keys.

When you drop items in the store, you don't sell them so much as you put items up for sale.  You enter the price you want and another player can purchase it for that much.  If you sell an item for $0 it will be unbuyable, so essentially that will make it a stored item you can come pick up later.  This is good, because you drop all unequipped items where you are standing when you die.

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »
There is a pretty extensive help menu in the game, accessed intuitively by pressing the '?' key.
Gamer_2k4

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
Thanks for the batch file and tips. I am a lazy windows user alright! The 'a' command was great.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Michael Clayton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
Does anyone know a possible reason why this is not working for me? :(

DarrylNakken

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 05:28:28 AM »
Okay, after tinkering with this for a little while, here's what I've found:

If you push 'a' your character will go into autoattack mode, where they automatically approach and attack enemies within their line of sight, so you can do that if you don't like to mash the directional keys.

When you drop items in the store, you don't sell them so much as you put items up for sale.  You enter the price you want and another player can purchase it for that much.  If you sell an item for $0 it will be unbuyable, so essentially that will make it a stored item you can come pick up later.  This is good, because you drop all unequipped items where you are standing when you die.

the game is good. I like the theme of the game.
but the game play is a little difficult.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:35:12 PM by DarrylNakken »