Author Topic: Close enough I say: A Valley Without Wind  (Read 4093 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Close enough I say: A Valley Without Wind
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/games/avww-features

What is A Valley Without Wind?

A Valley Without Wind, or AVWW for short, is an action-adventure game focusing on exploration in a post-ice-age world.  It's actually set in the far future -- far enough that all recognizable landmarks and land masses have been wiped from the earth.  Magic has surfaced in this ruined world, and is the sole reason that most of the scattered survivors have managed to keep themselves alive.  Not only have they had to face the bitter cold and worldwide glaciers for centuries, but new terrors fill the now-wild world.

Great fissures have been rent in the earth, and quite a few unpleasant things have crept forth.  Unusually hardy mutations of plants thrive despite the lingering snow at the tail end of the ice age, and many of these plants have deadly adaptations that threaten the surviving humans.  As a direct result of all the monsters, most survivors are alone or in very small groups, living off their wits and their magic to survive.  It is a bleak existence.

You begin the game with a character in such a situation.  But your character isn't content to cower in caves and ruins.  Setting out on an adventure that will span regions and even -- if you desire -- continents -- the character can bring together other survivors into settlements that have a better chance of surviving.  The wilds will be explored and mapped, and the greatest evils lurking both above and below ground will eventually have to be faced.

Among other things, not going to post the giant pitch right here.

Main things:

1. Permanent death, yet not quite the usual
2. Much procedurally generated doings/nigh infinite world, alongside tools for community modding/use that may well have some stuff get integrated into the game proper.
3. Alpha probably in March for pre-orders at a reduced price, no DRM nonsense, and all else flowing from there.
4. Early indications point to a rather fine soundtrack

5.  Come on.  Come on~   8)

First early trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Brcku1GMFQ

Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Close enough I say: A Valley Without Wind
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
Alternate titles for preview trailer:

"So I did some mushrooms and went for a jog."
"They still shovel snow from the roads after the apocalypse."
"The most deadly mutation monster is... loneliness."

Har har har other people's hard work har har har.