Author Topic: International Roguelike Database 2.0  (Read 5847 times)

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
International Roguelike Database 2.0
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Hi,

the IRLDb (International Roguelike Database) now has some community features. If you are playing many different roguelikes, you can now easily share your experiences about them!

• You can provide your experience level (XP) with all roguelikes. You can list roguelikes you have won, ones which you think you are expert at, ones which you have just tried, etc. Here is my page as an example.
  • You can say which roguelikes you think are the best, and in general rate their quality. (You can choose whether you want your vote public or not.)
  • In case if this was not enough, you can provide comments about each game, which will be available via IRLDb (together with the list of players of all XP levels)!
  • Your information is linked to your RogueTemple forum account.

Also it has a new layout by Slash!

Happy databasing!

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: International Roguelike Database 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
A well executed idea. I see a small problem with experience rating though. What do you do with games that have no victory condition like MPRDB or Berserk! ? By current standards nobody should use more than @@@ XP rating in them. This seems somewhat limiting to me because I used to slay Liches (most dreaded enemies) by dozens in MPRDB but could not show that my skill is more than significant.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Re: International Roguelike Database 2.0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
If the game has no victory condition, I think it would be the best to define one by your own judgement rather than having high XP levels unavailable. So I think it would be the best to call yourself @@@@ or @@@@@ if you think you deserve it, and add a comment which explains that the game has no victory condition and why you think you should be considered a winner anyway.

I think a good general rule for games without a victory condition would be that you can call yourself a winner if you have reached deep enough that you have witnessed everything that the game has to offer (if no new monsters or items have been appearing in the last few levels, then you are a winner). I think this makes sense with MPRDB, but probably not with games where new elements are not introduced progressively, or games where the difficulty constantly increases and reaches impossible at some moment (I suppose Berserk! falls in one or both of these categories). You should use your own judgement then, I think.