Author Topic: "Party" Roguelikes  (Read 11804 times)

CogDissident

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Party" Roguelikes
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
The main post at the moment for the temple mentions how there are few "party" roguelikes, where you control a number of characters and not just one. I'm curious to know what the other ones are, as I do enjoy these kind of roguelikes and would like to find more to play.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: "Party" Roguelikes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:37:35 PM »
At your service.

Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth. You lead a party in a way very similar to Eye of the Beholder. Only one good enough to beat DMU in party division IMHO. Its biggest flaw is lack of portability.

GUILD. Not very much development progress lately but you take four adventurers and control one while fairly good AI takes care of the remaining three. At any time you can switch to others. It is not long though.

Rogue Mercenaries has you complete several missions with a team of units. It is important to look after them. A 7DRL with very familiar monsters if you have played StarCraft. Must take a look.

Embrace of Darkness. You venture alone at first but soon you meet other members of your own race who follow you and fight with you. Drop good stuff you don't need for them to pick up and use. Or even give your best gear since you tend to look after yourself better than they do. Has a lot of equipment slots but is slightly buggy and unmaintained since three years.

SewerJacks. Another good title. Inspired by Blood Bowl and Troll Slayer novels it invites you to descend with your buddies to sewers where you want to kill the big baddie. You need to team up with other sewerjacks found there. It is graphical.

Obdur somewhat qualifies because it allows you to play any character in the town but only one at a time. I do not recommend it though.

Finally if you want to have a multiplayer party you can try Multiplayer Angband. Fine gameplay in realtime. The website seems to be down right now unfortunately. Hopefully it is a brief problem.

There was some *band which attempted to be party based but it was a failed try and I cannot find it now. Maybe some other time.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
http://lnl.sourceforge.jp/en/   Labyrinths & Legends is technically probably the longest developed one, aiming to incorporate some Wizardry-esque sensibilities.

It SHOULD be playable in English, though it seems some fiddling is needed else it might not quite be graceful thus far.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »
http://lnl.sourceforge.jp/en/   Labyrinths & Legends is technically probably the longest developed one, aiming to incorporate some Wizardry-esque sensibilities.

It SHOULD be playable in English, though it seems some fiddling is needed else it might not quite be graceful thus far.

This one looks really interesting. I love wizardry. Shame this one isn't in English though.

Oubliette isn't really a rogue-like, but it is another fun text mode dungeon crawler that's very similar to Wizardry. I think it actually inspired Wizardry.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

This one looks really interesting. I love wizardry. Shame this one isn't in English though.

Oubliette isn't really a rogue-like, but it is another fun text mode dungeon crawler that's very similar to Wizardry. I think it actually inspired Wizardry.

I should rephrase:  There is supposed to be an English mode, but my initial pokings had it somewhat elude me, either that or it is something of a janky rendition at this point in time.

Indeed, you are correct that Oubliette inspired Wizardry/Mordor(Demise).   It is one of those odd bits of history kind of like how the entire JRPG market as it came to be arose from a single western title:  The Black Onyx.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »
Indeed, you are correct that Oubliette inspired Wizardry/Mordor(Demise).

Did it inspire Mordor directly? Didn't know that. The similarities between Oubliette and Wizardry are clear as day. Mordor, not so much.

I remember playing Mordor quite some time ago. Really fun game.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
For the most part.  IIRC, there's some direct connections/contemporary doings between Wizardry and Mordor back to the founders and such.  Wizardry leapfrogged ahead by far, though on the other hand the Demise: Ascension standalone expansion dealie that is almost kinda out technically had them outlast SirTech, though obviously not the Japanese branch family of Wizardry.

http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:49:34 AM »
Expedition is an... "Expedition" roguelike :P

You manage a group of units... but they are bound to just die and be replaced...