Author Topic: Looking for Crawl suggestions/advice  (Read 10364 times)

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
Looking for Crawl suggestions/advice
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
Hay guise. Lately I've taken to playing ice elemental draconians.

I started playing crawl just a few weeks ago, and I like a lot the wacky races and backgrounds. I've played with ghouls, mountain dwarves, berserkers of different kinds, and demonspawns, but so far I've advanced the most with draconians.

I tend to follow cheibriados (I guess that isn't the best idea, but after all, it's a question of faith), or some god of magic (vehumet and sif muna?)

So far I get killed around levels 8-10, I've entered once in the orcish mines, I like my sewers too, any tough crawler advice to make my characters more badass?
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Crawl suggestions/advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Draconians, though awesome, are a tough race to play. They have very few equipment slots open, and as such will feel the hurt more and more as the game advances. Plus, given that you don't know what color draconian you're going to be until you hit level 7, aligning yourself with an element right off the bat can be a serious disadvantage. It might be worth starting off as a wizard or crusader. As to gods, though I love Chei, I'd argue that Sif and Vehument offer distinct advantages as well as easier playability.

Overall, if you love playing with magic, you might want to try the deep elf race. Or if it's strictly ice, a ghoul might be fun as well.

Happy Crawling! Here's to your eventual first rune!

cephalopoid

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
I've been playing a lot of crawl, too, lately. At first it was mostly High Elves Air Elementals, then Deep Elves, then with the Wizard[fire] background. I also have the same trouble as you, dying around D:10. Today a promising character died because of miscasting Blink while being bitten to death by a 6-headed hydra.

Are there any suggestions on what kind of races are good choices for healers?

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
Maybe this will help:

1. Select the icon.

2. Hit delete.

3. Empty your recycle bin.

4. Go download ToME4.

kipar

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
There is too much grinding in ToME4 (go repeat these dungeons until you get enough level and equipment to beat the next dungeon boss, oh and don't care about food or scrolls - consumable resources are minimal).
Well, I play Crawl only with mummies, so I still get more grind then average Crawl-er.

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
Grind? Yeah... It's not too bad if you visit absolutely all the dungeons or play as a fast-learning race like Cornacs and Yeeks.

DCSS has too much instant unavoidable death for my taste.

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:03 PM »
In fact, as of b26, your point is now compeltely moot as monsters don't respawn except in exploratory farportal worlds