Author Topic: Legerdemain - A major roguelike, right?!  (Read 41580 times)

Pteriforever

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Legerdemain - A major roguelike, right?!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »
Except that roguelikes are not RPGs

...How? Roguelikes are a subset of RPGs. All the defining aspects of an RPG -- Control of a single or a small group of characters, combat focus,  and so on, are all there in the major roguelikes of today, thus, I think we can safely add them to the list.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »
Except that roguelikes are not RPGs

...How? Roguelikes are a subset of RPGs. All the defining aspects of an RPG -- Control of a single or a small group of characters, combat focus

So Doom is an RPG then?

,  and so on

These not the defining characteristics of an RPG for me, rather it's: a story line (preferably non-linear), meaningful dialog with NPCs and c&c (choices and consequences). None of these are characteristic of roguelike or so-called "Action-RPGs" like diablo.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:41:53 PM by ido »

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »
The definition of a (computer) RPG known to me was something about having character(s) who has some stats like strength or HP, and they improve these stats (and equipment) during the course of game. If somebody says that Warcraft III or Heroes of Might and Magic has RPG elements, then probably it means something like this. Makes no sense either.

I think computer RPG is a stupid genre. Roguelikes (and other "RPG" games with strong emphasis on tactics) are in fact strategy games, and "RPGs" which are stories with some useless fights interleaved are stupid (would be better without these fights).

A proper role playing is IMO currently only possible with a human game master (or some other human, but not with formal rules of a computer program).

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 11:45:26 PM »
Would a roguelike without any character advancement or story be an RPG?  Would it still be a roguelike...?

Anyway, this thread is starting to get a bit silly  :)