Author Topic: Game Maker Question and I suck  (Read 6039 times)

guest509

Game Maker Question and I suck
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
  So I put together a basic move and bump into walls engine with Game Maker. Takes about 10 mins. I've since deleted it in nerd rage frustration. It just didn't look right. I was using 16x16 pixel tiles and using letters about that size. It just looked wrong. Is there a better way?

For those that don't know how gamemaker works you basically make an image and move it around. I was moving it 16 pixels left, right, up and down. It's not text, but graphical tiles moving around that just happen to look like text. Should I be using a different tile size? Skinnier? Fatter?

I could always just use graphics. But I was trying to be 'traditional'. And my graphical skill are even worse than my programming skills.

PS: I'm not much of a programmer, I'm an attorney. So not an idiot, but definitely not a computer wizard.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Game Maker Question and I suck
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:19:21 AM »
I was using 16x16 pixel tiles and using letters about that size. It just looked wrong.

Post a screenshot so we also can see how wrong it looks. I think the reason could be mixing graphics with letters, it probably looks odd. You could make the background(?) graphics more abstract and simple to match better with letters. Stuff like using only one color, like green for grass tile etc.

guest509

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
Okay I'm trying to post a picture. It just doesn't look right. I know there is some image overlap, but this grid just doesn't feel right. Maybe i'm crazy.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Yeah, most roguelikes that use fonts (tiles) for ascii are not squares.  I.e the height is larger that the width. That would be your problem i think.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

guest509

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
  Yeah. I've been comparing to ascii style games. It's a width issue. I'll fiddle with it.

Thanks!