Author Topic: Does anyone play Angband any more?  (Read 22012 times)

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Does anyone play Angband any more?
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »
I'm finding little on the forums on the subject and was wondering, has everyone moved on from Angband, or are many of the variants mentioned without actually calling them Angband. I play Ang'Tk as my main RL and i'm looking for some threads on it.

Is it old hat or 'done' or something?
It's not that important, but i am curious :)

Please excuse my noobriety.
Thankyou :)
I prefer David Gervais to Ricky Gervais...

Chex Warrior

• Rogueliker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cacodaemonical
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does anyone play Angband any more?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure that this is the main Angband website now: http://rephial.org/

Personally, I prefer Dungeon Crawl.

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »

I like more roguelikes than just that, i'm just learning DCSS now.
But Angband is my big time sink at the mo', mainly as i know how to play it, i guess.

I'm also trying to get over the 'DF wall', if you will.

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
 A -very- well adapted version of Angband was released to my Android-phone, and it does have a full qwerty-keyboard, just that it's too hard to move around, if not I'd be playing it on a daily basis.

I remember one of the first RLs I played was Nethack, then Angband (and I LOVED it, even though I didn't understand anything and died over and over). Then I went over to T.o.M.E (which was actually a great RL back then)

I tried revisiting Angband after that, but with aaaall the variations that was released from it, I felt like Angband wasn't a game anymore but just an engine, and that ruined the feel for me. Then I found ADOM, and that's it - DCSS ofcourse.

Considering buying a blutooth-numpad to use with my phone though, just for playing Angband again :)

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
Angband was my very first roguelike, back way before I knew this was even a genre. Happy days. The latter years I've been trying a few variants, but I never went back to the source. I'd probably be annoyed by some of the design choices today (perishable dungeons :P) These days, whenever I play one of the canonical RLs, it's usually Crawl, occationally ADOM (with which I had a hot affair a few years back, but I never made it past the last temple).

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »
Cool, it seems that Angband was part of many peoples RL 'development'.
I have a friend who's willing to give RL's a go so i'll probably give him the leg in via Ang' Tk.

I think, given that he's mainly a shooter fan, i should point him in the direction of tile-based games, i suspect that the leap with ASCII graphics might be a litle too far and monochrome would be right out  ;D. Shame, i loved Moria when i found it on a disk AAAAAges ago. (we had a 386/DX at the time, THAT long ago ;)).

Seeing the feedback, i'm going to nip off and DL ADOM. ::)
Thx folks.

guest509

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »
  Your shooter friend might like DoomRL or AliensRL. No graphic tiles yet but they are scifi so contain tons of shooting. DoomRL even follows the FPS Shooter genre with health packs, ammo, reloading, grenades, etc...

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:00:02 AM »
Well i've given my bud a flash stick with a few RL's on, so i'll see how he goes.
I picked him up Aliens RL, Ang'Tk, ADOM, DCSS and DoomRL.

Now I'M hooked on AliensRL. It's a little simplistic, but great fun :)
Thx Jo.

I'm just about to give ADOM a go myself.

ModernLife

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
I just started playing angband and am loving it.  I have played alot of simpler roguelikes (as far as keys go) like AliensRL, desktop dungeons, decker, and the rogue for iphone and was ready for something alittle more in depth, I tried moria and Crawl but it was too much of a jump in complexiety.  Angband seems like a good middle ground between the 2 styles of roguelikes. 

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »
Moria is great, i'd love to see it with a graphical interface. It's the first RL i discovered.

I went for Angband as it was free on a mag disk...i'd not seen tiles on a roguelike before, so fell for it.
I've only had a PC for a couple of years now (though after a punishing upgrade schedule i have a x58 now)

I know how you feel about DCSS, it's a little 'Whoa!', but i'll get there.
Part of the enjoyment i glean from Angband is joy of farming, i know some people want more from their games...I still get jollies whenever if find a 'Westerness' weapon or simply see 'You feel your luck is turning' when i enter a level.

My tastes are broadening, but i still enjoy AngbandTk :)

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »
Actually, I found the config for Angband on android, and managed to switch to roguelike-controls! So I've been playing it alot again now.

And according to the market, more than 50000 other people have atleast downloaded it for their mobilephones. The conversion of Angband to Android is really impressive. Hope other RL-developers can make use of the sourcecode and get their roguelikes available for smartphones aswell! :)

Kuritzo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
There are many different variants of Angband available. I think that Steamband is one of the best.

Perdurabo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
I've started playing it again.

HT Warriors are fun. But I lost a decent one (lvl 39) to an Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon's breath on a vault at 2300' by being careless and overconfident.

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
lvl 39...lol, I wish.
My record is a 20th Half Elf Paladin...lost him when a Tengu teleported me into the middle of a pack Orcs and Uruks.

Jazerus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
Angband has a pretty lively (if a bit small) official community over at http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php - it tends to be where development discussion and general idea discussion occurs. Angband's back in active development now, and is tremendously more accessible than it used to be - definitely worth giving it a shot if you've not picked it up in a few years.