Author Topic: My first roguelike  (Read 15663 times)

Ioskeha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
My first roguelike
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
So I've picked Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for my first roguelike to play. I've currently playing through the tutorial and hit a road-block. I can't figure out how to drop stacks of items.

The game is telling me to press d, then type in the amount I'd like to drop, which is 10, then click on the item to drop a stack of 10. Well, it's not working for me. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I press d, then press 1 then 0 for ten, then press k for the item... nothing happens. What am I missing?

Kalantir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: My first roguelike
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
As far as I can tell, you're doing everything correctly.  I would like to warn you though, Dungeon Crawl is a very brutal game, even for a roguelike.

Ioskeha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:36 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what the problem was. I restarted the game and dropping stacks of items work fine now.

Oh I know Crawl is one of the harder roguelikes. Which is why I picked it. I love a challenge.

guest509

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
  I am going to have to reiterate the warning. This game is considered the best by many. But goddamn is it a tough son of a whore.

As for the dropping thing, I dunno. I've never had the problem you are talking about. i generally use the graphical version. You shift+leftclick on an item and you drop it.

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »
Wow, you're starting on DCSS, good sir (or madam), you scare me.

I started on Moria years ago, that was pretty harsh, then i went on to Hack...that too hated me. ;)

A few years ago i saw a friends PC mag (while i had a old skool Xbox, he was tyring to PCfy me) and saw TILES on the games, this blew my mind. I do kinda miss the adventure taking place in my mind, but i guess I'm lazy. :)

I've started to try 'Soup, but it's so different to Angband, which is my main RL i have little clue wtf is going on.
I die even more than on Angband, and on THAT i can only get to level 8-12 on average...and i've been playing in the 18 months since i got back into roguelikes.

I wish you the best of luck, as when i go to play DCSS, a mystic force steers my hand to Angband.
I think it's either fear or familiarity.
Bonne chance :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:14:08 AM by Cap n Crunch »
I prefer David Gervais to Ricky Gervais...

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:11:36 PM »
LDC is a weird acronym to use, I think is confuses the readers around here (at least it does confuse me). I think most people call "Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup" just Crawl, or DCSS if they want to be more precise.

LDC suggests that you are speaking of the original Linley's Dungeon Crawl, which you apparently are not.

Cap n Crunch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:56:01 AM »
Sorry, I'm new :-\
Most of my mates think i'm a bit funny when they see me playing an RL :)
DCSS it is then.
Thx :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:12:14 AM by Cap n Crunch »
I prefer David Gervais to Ricky Gervais...

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
*edited*

wrong thread, sorry
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:42:26 PM by yodhe »

siob

• Rogueliker
  • blit(brain)
    • View Profile
    • gamejs
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
lol i have only dabbled in nethack but even after a year with tutorials on & off I finally.... started playing Soup after reading a thread about it here.

edit: shit: i think it's more like 3 years with nethack and i CAN DO NOTHING. crap.

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 04:29:35 AM »
I can't remember exactly which one was my first. It was either Rogue or NetHack. I remember discovering those two and Angband around the same time. (ZZT too). I mostly played Rogue and Angband for quite some time. Then I shifted to mostly NetHack.

Now days it's mostly Rogue and DoomRL. I plan on giving Frozen Depths and Dungeon Crawl a go sometime soon. Also interested in Quickband, Tinyband, and Hellband.

I also got flak from friends when they saw me playing or I tried explaining roguelikes to them. What's funny, is the guys that give me the most flak these days are the ones who spend all day on their computers playing games and I have much more of a life so roguelikes are a perfect fit for playing game with depth in short spurts when you can fit the time in.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:08 AM »
My first roguelike was ADOM. I haven't had interned these days and my cousin brought me the game on a floppy. 1 MB executable had its good points. That and my old 386DX could handle ADOM very well.

From bands I like Gumband. Nowadays I switch roguelikes like gloves but continually return to DoomRL, ZapM, DCSS and coding my own vaporware game.

People who see me playing a roguelike game in general say something along the lines: 'Oh, its Michał showing yet another side of his weird personality.' So go figure. :)
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »
Most of my mates think i'm a bit funny when they see me playing an RL :)
I also got flak from friends when they saw me playing or I tried explaining roguelikes to them.
People who see me playing a roguelike game in general say something along the lines: 'Oh, its Michał showing yet another side of his weird personality.' So go figure. :)
For whatever reason, this makes me happy. I feel like playing more roguelikes.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
Since it seems like you guys have made a tradition of it, I too will post an unrelated personal anecdote about the first roguelikes I've played:

I'm pretty sure I started with nethack at some point in the late 90s or early 2000s, sadly I couldn't make heads or tails of it and left the rl world for a couple of years.

Around 2003 I've ventured forth once more into the realm of roguelikes with angband, then quickly moving to ToME2 and eventually DoomRL - which remains one of my favorites & the only RL (barring 7drls and their ilk) I've actually completed!

In recent years I took to playing DCSS and have also returned to DoomRL after not playing it for years. I also played a ton of the smaller roguelikes (mostly 7drls) but they usually don't last for long.

I tried getting into incursion, brogue, ADOM & legerdemain but none of these really held my attention for long
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:40:25 PM by ido »

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
Stop hijacking the thread, Ido. Nobody wants to read your biography.

The guy is just so full of himself. ;D