Author Topic: A Quest Too Far 1.3 released  (Read 9188 times)

geoffrey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Quest Too Far 1.3 released
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »
I've just finished version 1.3 of A Quest Too Far, my short roguelike about an ageing adventurer:
http://www.randomstuff.org.uk/~geoffrey/roguelikes/aquesttoofar.html

The new version features a couple of new monsters, improved 'graphics', and lots of bug fixes!

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
Re: A Quest Too Far 1.3 released
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »
Great to know, I'm still playing your game often!

Thanks Geoffrey
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »
Always good to see a 7DRL continue to evolve.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
Is it my impression or the number of monsters has been increased a little?

Another question: are all monsters generated as a level is created or is there also a monster respawn?

I have to say I acquired skills at this game hahah, I manage to win like 50% of the times I play.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:23:56 PM by Skeletor »
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
I liked it, gets a big frustrating at time but I assume there is an ultimate strategy with item drops.
Are there plans for differing equipment, or classes, e.g a wizard that forget spells.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

geoffrey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »
Is it my impression or the number of monsters has been increased a little?

There are two new types of monster, but the number of monsters per level hasn't changed.

Another question: are all monsters generated as a level is created or is there also a monster respawn?

They're all generated as the level's created.  The decline mechanic puts plenty of pressure on the player to progress, so I don't think there's any need to generate more monsters as well.

I liked it, gets a big frustrating at time but I assume there is an ultimate strategy with item drops.

Yes, I think after a few plays you will begin to know which items to use first and which you want to save.  Some are more useful on particular levels.  Other than that my advice is:
 - move fast when your health is good, always take the stairs as soon as you find them
 - Trolls and Griffons are nasty, use items to beat them
 - Dragons are even worse but less vicious - try to avoid a fight

I'd be interested to hear other people's suggestions.

Are there plans for differing equipment, or classes, e.g a wizard that forget spells.

I think varied equipment is an excellent idea.  Unfortunately development is rather slow at the moment because I don't have a lot of free time.  I'll do my best.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
There are two new types of monster, but the number of monsters per level hasn't changed.
Skeletons and mummies are both brute force fighters with no peculiar abilities, right?

They're all generated as the level's created.  The decline mechanic puts plenty of pressure on the player to progress, so I don't think there's any need to generate more monsters as well.
I agree.

Yes, I think after a few plays you will begin to know which items to use first and which you want to save.  Some are more useful on particular levels.  Other than that my advice is:
 - move fast when your health is good, always take the stairs as soon as you find them
 - Trolls and Griffons are nasty, use items to beat them
 - Dragons are even worse but less vicious - try to avoid a fight
I'd be interested to hear other people's suggestions.
I agree, my chart of badassness is: Dragons > Griffons > Trolls > Wraiths (4th position with a ring of detect monsters.. otherwise I'd give them a #1, I lost a lot of games because of them before realizing that wearing that ring I could see those fuckers) > Manticores.
In dangerous situations I try to use up scroll of teleport, wand of fire and the first extra healing potion very quickly, trying to save wand of displacement and candle of invisibility for later levels (being those 2 life savers not only more effective, but also more durable therefore more worth their weight).
Wand of disintegration is a last measure but sometimes can come very handy as a wand of digging, saving lots of time. I try to keep at least 1 charge for the witch, but if I can still displace myself or become invisibile many times and I'm at dungeon level 4 or 5 I can consider using it up and then freeing 2 weight spaces. It's also a very good alternative weapon when things go so bad that dropping the sword becomes the lesser evil.

I think varied equipment is an excellent idea.  Unfortunately development is rather slow at the moment because I don't have a lot of free time.  I'll do my best.
Yes, that would be cool.
Maybe adding customization before starting the game (with classes, races and the like), armors and magic. And also implementing new dungeon elements (such as traps, doors) would be nice.

geoffrey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »
Skeletons and mummies are both brute force fighters with no peculiar abilities, right?

Yeah, I'm working on something a bit more special but it didn't make that build.  Most of the changes are bug fixes (that you may or may not ever notice...), and the Manticore is much better at using it's abilty than before.

And also implementing new dungeon elements (such as traps, doors) would be nice.

I definitely want to do this.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
It is my impression or trolls and griffons behave differently from dragons? Looks like trolls and griffons always chase you, while dragons are more territorial (like cave bears).

A thing I really like about this game is that it is very tactical (always many, many ways to proceed and survive to dangerous situations) from the very beginning.
Concerning this aspect, AQTF is maybe the best roguelike around. I can have hours of fun playing ADOM, DCSS, etc, but the first levels are always not very funny and tactical; there's almost no special equipment, there are no big choices except brute-forcing the way out (with a weapon or a couple of spells) or fleeing.
Instead, AQTF gives immediately a big set of tactical elements to use and so different choices to make (and to invent!).
This is probably the main reason why I still keep having fun with it.

It is the opposite of Angband (most unfunny roguelike ever IMO).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:40:49 PM by Skeletor »