Author Topic: ARRP 2010 BOSS 2.4a  (Read 4768 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
ARRP 2010 BOSS 2.4a
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »
How awesome is this...a classic revived for the modern era/machines out of nowhere!   This gives me hope that, hey, it might be somewhat more possible to drag a DEC "something" into the future from the confines of old ala Jaunt Trooper if I ever manage to get ahold of the files.   :D

http://dungeon_keeper.republika.pl/
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: ARRP 2010 BOSS 2.4a
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
Someone has posted an announcement for me? Great! Thank you Brian.

Original authors of BOSS had a C port underway but it never saw daylight. Turns out modern Free Pascal is quite compatible with old Pascal. Porting code was not difficult task. The only real obstacle was some functions written in VAX Macro Assembly ... I identified the language thanks to vim syntax highlighting but otherwise had to deduce/guess everything from comments and usage patterns.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »
Spiffy work and quite welcome.

Now then, the Big Question:  Are you planning to "keep it going", say, in the NLarn style of further progress in the spirit of things?
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
I was thinking about the Big Question and waited for feedback. Since no one seems to be interested enough to bother me with an email BOSS will stay frozen. It is still a new game for me and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The plan was to add color but without a vision I am likely to get color scheme wrong. Someone who beat the game would know better.

Recently I figured out you can have your sex changed for 500 bucks. Fits SF genre well.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike