Author Topic: Internationale Spieltage 2010  (Read 9077 times)

njerpe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Internationale Spieltage 2010
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
Hello,

I'll be promoting my game Legerdemain at Essen Spiel in Germany from October 21-24. It is one of the biggest game conferences in the world and I imagine it will be a blast.

For those who don't know, Legerdemain is a roguelike/IF style game with a paid version that comes with a cluebook, the game on a CD, and a printed map. I've promoted it at several conferences in the USA and the response for the game in particular (as well as Roguelikes in general) has been very encouraging.

I'm posting here because I don't have anybody helping me run the booth at Spiel and I could use the assistance. I've rented a two-bedroom flat so you'd have a place to stay about ten minutes from the con as well as a free badge to get in. A lot of the work merely involves engaging with customers and telling them about the game, although there is some set up and teardown involved (but really, not much).  

It also happens that I don't speak German, so if you do that would be a huge plus.

Anyhow if you think you might be interested PM me or send an email to legerdemain at bellsouth dot net. I'm looking for folks well-versed in roguelikes and not unaccustomed to talking with strangers.

And if you have any questions just ask!

Cheers!
Nathan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:00:13 PM by njerpe »
Legerdemain - A Tale Fraught with Peril and Wonder

http://roguelikefiction.com

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Essen Spiel 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
I'm guessing you're referring to the "Internationale Spieltage"? Not to be a bummer or something but isn't that an expo with a primary focus on traditional board and cardgames like Chess, Magic or Risk? I know there's also some comic stuff going on there but it would never have occurred to me to go there for news on Videogames.

I can't help you as university is about to kick into gear in the coming weeks and Essen is a bit too far away from Switzerland. But good luck nonetheless. A success on your side would be a success for roguelike popularity in general.
And keep it up, Legerdemain is one pretty interesting roguelike.

njerpe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Essen Spiel 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »
You got it, here's a link for more info:

http://www.internationalespieltage.de/e000.php4

There are some electronic games there but you are right, the main focus is boardgaming.

The funny thing is I've attended boardgaming-centric conventions in the USA (GenCon, Origins) and, despite the relative lack of computer game companies, the roguelike buzz there has been quite strong. For one thing I think the genre may appeal to boardgamers (top-down view, heavy on strategy, etc.) and for another thing you aren't competing with hundreds of other computer game companies.

In general we get three types of customers: people that *get* roguelikes and are on-board right from the start, people that have heard of roguelikes and are willing to give one a try, and folks that have no clue what it's all about. The first group is the most supportive and most likely to buy your product, but the experience is most rewarding when you're able to win over a member of the third group :)

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Internationale Spieltage 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:28:32 AM »
Bit of an off-topic here, but I'm curious whether you've got another interactive story to tell, njerpe. I really enjoyed the combination of prose and dungeon crawling in Legerdemain. Any plans for another game?

njerpe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »
Hey thanks jim, I've got another game cooking, quite a bit different as it takes some of the RPG design elements in a new direction.

Still a strong emphasis, though, on the "roguelike + fiction" formula.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the time or resources to make much progress on it at the moment. Maybe in 2011 things will clear up a bit.

Cheers,
Nathan

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
Nice to see you around here again njerpe, and good luck making a splash at the conference.   8)

Any fresh progress you can report on the, as I understand it to be happening, graphical tileset of Legerdemain?
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

njerpe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:30:17 AM »
The tile version is going great, stay tuned for some news about it on my website in the next week or so.