Author Topic: Studies of the Angband "mold" type monsters  (Read 8737 times)

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Studies of the Angband "mold" type monsters
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
When I started playing Angband I was surprised of the mold type enemies. "A strange growth on the dungeon floor", if I remember the description correctly.

Lately I felt inspired to work on some studies about such "strange growth on the dungeon floor".

The latter two are the same image, just with different color and contrast.

Bear

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Studies of the Angband "mold" type monsters
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
What always annoyed me about the molds in Angband was that they are just named "$COLOR mold."  And once you've seen a blue one, you know without even meeting them that there's got to be a yellow one, a red one, a brown one, a green one .....  because once they start using color names in Angband they feel some strange and oh-so-predictable obligation to complete the whole set.

Your molds look to me like a nice underwater pic of some kind of seaweed.  What did you use to do the images?

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:08 PM »
Death molds are the exception of the rule ;) But yes, many creatures in Angband are just colored - yellow, green, blue centipedes. White, yellow, brown snakes and so on ...

It's been photos of moss on rock initially. I've just altered the light and colors. The underwater effect stems mostly from the lighting changes, and was not really intended ;D

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
I like the idea of creating dungeon monsters with photograph manipulations. You would need fittingly-dressed models for some of the humanoid creatures, of course, but you might be able to make everything else with stock-photographs. I doubt most of us would have the time for that kind of thing, though.

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
Well it'd be interesting if each color was randomly assigned to the monsters. So each run you have to figure out again which one is harder.