Author Topic: Arcan Myth RL 0.2 Released  (Read 9467 times)

provolik

• Newcomer
    • MSN Messenger - provolik@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Arcan Myth RL
    • Email
Arcan Myth RL 0.2 Released
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »
Hi to all,

this is the second step of my effort to create a Rogue Like based non my Free RPG (Paper & Pencil).
This is an alpha project yet only for Linux Debian Ubuntu. However I tried it successfully on Fedora.

Download it at: http://arcanmyth.blogspot.com

The websites is in italian but the game try to be in english so don't worry if you don't understand anything about the website. The blog now has a download and a screenshot version.

I did several changes from 0.1: the interface now fit the base console perfectly, Characters can be more customized (more skills), more difficult to finish the game, different kinds of dungeons and other more.

Try it if you have linux and... bug reports will be appreciate :)

Bye

provolik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Arcan Myth RL
    • Email
Re: Arcan Myth RL 0.2 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
Just a note to say that I have released the 0.2.1 version. It fixes a critical bug and make the code in-line with D.Tango-0.99.9.

Bye

PK

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Good job on the bug fix, keep at it!   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

provolik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Arcan Myth RL
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:29:22 AM »
Good job on the bug fix, keep at it!   8)

Thanks. However the change from Kubuntu 8.10 to Kubuntu 10.04 gave to me some problems because I updated the version of Tango. At the moment I realize that here there aren't the features of my game, so an user must download it to discover them. So I describe them here quickly (sorry for bad english):

• A round passes on every press on keyboard even if it's wrong. So you have to pay attention to the enemies
  • No class and no level. The character is stats and skills based.
  • No experience but increments points to upgrade skills. You can upgrade a skill from X to X+1 if you have (X+1) * 10 points. Howvere some skills have double, triple or quadruple cost
  • No reward for killing. You gain increments points by exploring the dungeons and not by killing creatures.
  • Dynamic death. If you reach ZERO HP you will die for sure, but if you go under your half HP you have a chance (big chance) to die anyway. To have more chance to survive upgrade you constitution saving throw.
  • Tactical Defence. You can choose if you want to defence yourself by evading or by blocking the attack. With blocking you use the same skill of the wielded weapon, but not all attacks can be blocked without a penalty.
  • Double weapon. You can wield two weapons using ambidexterity for the second weapon if it is lesser than you wielded weapon skill, otherwise you use the skill value.
  • Multiple attacks. You can set your attack to multiple, so you will do 2 attacks with a penalty of -2 on the first and -4 non the second.
  • Strength is a skill (not so obvious). You can increments your strength to do more damage on every attack
  • Dungeon diversity. 4 kinds of different dungeon can be played (randomly). However for the first steps you will play only classical dunegons (rooms and corridors)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:34:41 AM by provolik »

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
Sounds like a solid feature list.  Any planned, but not yet implemented, features?
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

provolik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Arcan Myth RL
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »
Sounds like a solid feature list.  Any planned, but not yet implemented, features?

Yes. I am only at 0.2.1 edition of my Roguelike and I am deciding what I have to first. Probably the next feature is the magic system: it will be based on MANA and some spells (I think about 20), but the cast power will be different and decided by the player if the property skill is upgraded.

With this feature wil come up others like special skills which reduce penalty for multiple attaks, increase resistance powers, give bonuses in defence or with trhow weapons.

Actually I don't know how much time I will spend to do that, but I will do ;-)

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:07:16 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Too bad I use Windows...   :-\  But, it's still in Alpha.  :)

No class and no level. The character is stats and skills based.
This is the feature that stands out the most to me.  I love skill based systems.  Too bad this isn't more popular in roguelikes or RPGs in general.

provolik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Arcan Myth RL
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Hi Karzack,

I am glad to hear you like a skill based RL even if level based are more popular. I think because it's simplier to describe a character in levels than in skills.

Level is variable and determinate the power of the character; stats & skills are differents.

For example in my RL the character has a fixed constitution (about from 10 to 16) and HPs are derived from constitution (cons x 5), so they are fixed too. This method cannot feat level model and make death different from classic RL I played.

Windows version? I don't know, maybe if D development will continue in the right direction :-)