Author Topic: Lets post monsters to be added to roguelikes!  (Read 43079 times)

Altefcat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Elderlore
Re: Lets post monsters to be added to roguelikes!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
No, I said they respect less someone else's work. Let's work an example. When I release Kaduria there will be a tileset which is original artwork. I would really hate to see that tileset stolen and used in another project, but I'm afraid that's exactly what is going to happen. Making something original takes effort and plain work, something which open source developers want to avoid all possible ways:)

You seem so full of fear and hate, I almost feel sorry about you...

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
Of course, stealing only happens if you are open source.

No, I said they respect less someone else's work. Let's work an example. When I release Kaduria there will be a tileset which is original artwork. I would really hate to see that tileset stolen and used in another project, but I'm afraid that's exactly what is going to happen. Making something original takes effort and plain work, something which open source developers want to avoid all possible ways:)
This is completely false; no serious project with a serious devteam works that way. I really doubt your Kaduria tileset will be stolen, that may only happen on the case of something very VERY popular (I have seen people take the Final Fantasy sprites, for instance) and even so, it looks unprofessional and most probably wont be taken seriously, (which is something *REAL* developers want for they projects).

Also, I wouldn't say Open Source developers want to avoid efforts and plain work, given they work on their projects mostly in their own time. Their motivations to work using Open Source are aimed at increasing their workpower and ensuring the project lives over the time... stealing is not part of it.

I think you need to show us some exhibits, maybe then we will take your comments seriously

Reverend Prohna

• Newcomer
  • Praise "Bob"!
    • View Profile
    • The Church of the Subgenius
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 06:19:15 AM »
yer all stoopid. this is a stupid conversation.
"I'd rather be lucky than good at something anyday!"

-J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
Agreed with the Reverend! Hallellujah!

Anyway... I do believe my roguelike will be mostly humans. If you define some decent, well-thought characteristics, depending on your world, there's not a whole lot more you need.

Further and further, I'm deviating from fantasy to more realistic settings. Take a look at UnrealWorld, I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Not worth 30 dollars (though you can buy a single version for 3 or 4 bucks), in my opinion, but it's definitely a fun game! And it's mostly humans and regular wildlife!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:54:22 PM by Anvilfolk »
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Reverend Prohna

• Newcomer
  • Praise "Bob"!
    • View Profile
    • The Church of the Subgenius
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
I kinda agree sure its neat to have tons of races and monsters to deal with. but id rather see more done on gear and world flavor.
"I'd rather be lucky than good at something anyday!"

-J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »
Actually, that's one of the things that irk me a bit about roguelikes, even ADOM, who boasts a story and well-defined gameworld.

All the monsters are totally random... for example: I go into a gnome mine. I except to find ... GNOMES! They might keep some "pets", but it's absurd to find orcs, cats, blink dogs, worms, elves, lizardmen, and all sorts of things. Nethack is the worst in my opinion.

I like consistency. I'd prefer only goblins and every one of them to be semi-unique (character traits, physical traits & inventory), and that they'd develop strategies to kill the player - rather than meet an orc, a goblin, a bat and a giant rat (or somesuch) in a room. It just doesn't make any sense.

Heck, make some dungeon wars, where you find two factions in the middle of a struggle to take parts of the dungeon/cave you're exploring, that'd add even some more variety. Just don't add_new_monster_to_dungeon(random() % my_huge_monster_table_size>5000000)...

</rant>
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Adral

• Rogueliker
  • The Hammer of Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 09:50:55 PM »
Actually, that's one of the things that irk me a bit about roguelikes, even ADOM, who boasts a story and well-defined gameworld.

All the monsters are totally random... for example: I go into a gnome mine. I except to find ... GNOMES! They might keep some "pets", but it's absurd to find orcs, cats, blink dogs, worms, elves, lizardmen, and all sorts of things. Nethack is the worst in my opinion.

I like consistency. I'd prefer only goblins and every one of them to be semi-unique (character traits, physical traits & inventory), and that they'd develop strategies to kill the player - rather than meet an orc, a goblin, a bat and a giant rat (or somesuch) in a room. It just doesn't make any sense.

Heck, make some dungeon wars, where you find two factions in the middle of a struggle to take parts of the dungeon/cave you're exploring, that'd add even some more variety. Just don't add_new_monster_to_dungeon(random() % my_huge_monster_table_size>5000000)...

</rant>

I agree with you thoroughly. One of the reasons I always stop playing Nethack is that it feels so random and bloated with all kinds of different monsters. Having T-shirts and kitchen sinks doesn't help either :P.

On the other hand one good example of having dungeon consistency, in my opinion, is Crawl. When you enter the Pandemonium, you find demons, when you enter the Orcish mines you find orcs, when you enter the Elf (can't remember the full name) you find elves. The way it does it is that you find of that certain enemy, so it is consistent, but you find it with many different flavors, like elven warrior, elven mage, elven priest, etc. It is certainly something I like.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:24:58 PM by Adral »
On the wings of the storm.