Author Topic: My RPG (Rogue Playing Game)  (Read 26766 times)

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
My RPG (Rogue Playing Game)
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
A few teaser screenshots of my graphic rogue like game, as I get ever closer to a Beta release in the next while or so...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:07:14 PM by yodhe »

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: My RPG (Rogue Playing Game)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »
Looks cool, but the magma looks a bit like spaghetti to me. That could be because my mother cooks spaghetti rather frequently. Had it for lunch, in fact.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
Yeah, I need to do something about the magma, does look noodle-y, especially
as it will be animated... You can't see it in the still screen shots, but the water,
and flame currently jiggle a few frames.

Just a couple of features, that I am thinking of implementing, and wondered if anyone had
any thoughts.

i) Carving out your own tunnels+rooms. I.e. some walls will be soft and mineable with
a small chance of finding a gemstone or two. But also chance of hitting water/lava/cave-in

ii) Air environment (poisonous air, explosive gasses that get ignited by torches etc)

And the final thing, what elements draw you most to a rogue-like game, in the first five
minutes. What are the things you think are essential to grab you, and make you play it
more than once?

Aganazer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
It looks really cool. The map tiles look somewhat familiar. Are those custom?

So what is the premise for the game?

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:33:42 AM »
At the moment, the three floor tiles, the two beige ones, and the grey one are "borrowed", and
due to be replaced (there might be a couple of other "placeholder" graphics like the pillars as well). The rest of the graphics I did myself in GIMP.

The premise, is you go in exploring an abandoned mine, near where your family/tribe is founding a new settlement after an long sea voyage, escaping some unknown repression.

The mine entrance collapses behind you when you enter, and so you have to explore and survive, and maybe make it out with some treasure.
Depending on how you do, when you escape you will be presented with a generated story about what happened to you afterwards. From beggar to becoming the chieftan, dead from consumption, or living a long life with many offspring, it will depend on how you play.
The main thing is to create a fun top down rogue game, with the emphasis on strategy, rather than hack and slash. For example everyturn you get a number of movement points, rather than being a move-a-tile-turn, or single action.
I suppose you could say the game is a cross between Rogue and LaserSquad in gameplay.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:35:27 AM by yodhe »

5v3nd0ttg

• Newcomer
  • Nate
    • MSN Messenger - p03tic5ickn355@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - p03tic5ickn355
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - p03tic5ickn355
    • View Profile
    • The Other Experiment Studio
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »
The turned based system kinda reminds of Heroes of Might and Magic V a little. Always found that tactical turn-based system was very intriguing, most fun. I do have a tendency for strategy games however which might explain that. Looks pretty neat, did you mention the name of your RPG? Do you have a website? Hope to see more soon.
Check out my artwork, photography, and video game projects at www.theoestudio.com.

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
I really like the graphics. You don't see tiles this big too often, and they work well. The buttons and user interface are nice, too. Great job!

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »
I also heartily endorse the visual style of this...and probably the rest too as that's just what I tend to do!   8)  Keep at it.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Thanks for the great comments, it certainly given me a boost to get on and get a Beta release done ASAP so that you can actually play the game, and get a feel for it....

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:08:15 PM »
Beta release in the next month or so...
Webite/download soon...

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Woo hoo!   :D
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:29 AM »
Really nice graphical style, and I love the interface too.  Very intrigued about the gameplay.

You ask about what grips you immediately in the game... well, I'd mostly say a challenge, and various gameplay options (as in things to do in game, not just choosing generic classes).  More randomness is always good too.  However ultimately you should stick to what game plans you hae and follow them through.  Things will naturally evolve over time into their proper form  :)

As a suggestion I'd say putting a white border around the different command/inventory symbols at the top-right, as they can get lost admidst the background detail.

Looking forward to the beta.