Author Topic: AstralHexRL LIVES  (Read 18894 times)

abecedarian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
AstralHexRL LIVES
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:32:20 AM »
Wow I feel like a jerk for not posting for so long about this project! All I can say is that I'm 20 and a lot of stuff happened...  ehh.. don't really want to go into it, personal business, but suffice it to say i've been super super busy.. All of my available development time has been dedicated to the tileset for Legerdemain which is pretty huge, and has taken almost 10 months to complete. It's still not completely finished, but I'm going to try to have it done within 2 weeks or so.. working on the last set of tiles now.

My life has hugely leveled off now.. I now have a steady job and place to live that will likely give me LOTS of development time.. (I manage a motel! Lots of time just sitting in my room waiting for people to show up..)

I never forgot about AstralHexRL, and I can't wait to get back to it ASAP, but my life is pretty chaotic, and my first priority is legerdemain's tileset.. (money plays ;-p)

I'll let you guys know when legerdemain's tleset is finished and I hope you all check it out the game because it I'm really putting all of my effort into the graphics for this game.. The game itself is EPIC already, in very surprising ways.. Definitely not a traditional roguelike, but the writing is superb, and the graphics are about to be! (You'll get an example of the quality of the graphics that AstralHexRL will have, although astral will be subject to many less limitations than were necessary with legerdemain)

check out roguelikefiction.com to get legerdemain.. but wait for my tileset :-p

Anyway, it's a long wait, but it will be worth it, and you're all going to be pleasantly surprised!

ASTRALHEXRL LIVES!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:02:35 AM by abecedarian »

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: AstralHexRL LIVES
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:11 AM »
Hooray and thanks for dropping by again!   8)

I may well come to ask you for starting tips and the like on the art front in the near future if you'll be up for it.  Roguelike art doings of my own on the horizon afterall.

I suggest you take some "hotel time" to browse around the forums and topics as there's been quite a large number of things going on if you've been out of the loop around here whilst life beckoned.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:55:52 AM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

abecedarian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:13:47 AM »
Hey I'd be happy to help with any aspects of pixel art as I've been doing it since I was 13 or so which was when i first started coding and making graphics for my games.. actually way earlier than that if you count my childhood mspaint days (ahh windows 3.11, how i miss your spray paint tool!)

That video you saw, getter, was pretty much the most boring tile I could have picked.. That's just because most of the tileset is finished and I just randomly got the whim to make a video, so there's not much left to choose from! The video i'm talking about is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDN7hOkqVD4  The video isn't fast paced because I'm using a laptop touchpad! (So frustrating.. I had a mouse for much of the tileset, but not recently... A mouse would triple my speed -_-)

i'm checking out the forum right now, and it looks like there's a lot of cool stuff going on.. Glad to hear it, and i'm going to spend some time browsing today. I'm not necessarily going to frequent the forum too much aside from updates on Astralhex and occasional checking in though, but feel free to contact me at:
iana.m504@gmail.com any time.

Cheers all!

abecedarian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:37:11 AM »
Good stuff, the Newsgrab and Elderlore stuff should prove right handy to keep track of things going forward even if stopping by here terribly often for general musings isn't so much in the cards.   8)

http://joewalker.org/rng/
http://www.elderlore.com/en/category/planet-roguelike
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
Wow I feel like a jerk for not posting for so long about this project!
You really shouldn't :) As in so many matters, I think patience is the single most important virtue for a RL developer. If you release the first alpha in three years, we'll still be here to hoot and cheer. And one can hardly ever underestimate the importance of one's actual life. Hope the stuff that's kept you away from AstralHex are all good.

Also, I'm looking forward to see what you're doing for Legerdemain. That is a really unique and interesting game, deserving of fitting tiles.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.