Poll

What graphics/"graphics" do you prefer?

Text - Windows
Text - DOS
Isometric
3D
Tiled Graphics
Square Tiled Graphics

Author Topic: How do you like your roguelikes?  (Read 41633 times)

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Re: How do you like your roguelikes?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 11:36:05 PM »
Exactly. DoomRL is "Text - Windows". I can't play it in DOS, and so, I don't play it. Even though I love that game.

So are you still using DOS? Or DosBox?

I have read on rgrd that Windows Vista and 7 no longer allow running programs in text mode (unless some strange thing is done to them), so maybe that is the problem. (When I run roguelikes like Crawl or DoomRL on Windows XP or older or on Linux, I run them in text mode (which I get under Windows by pressing Alt+Enter and on Linux by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1), and they look like DOS, I don't see why you would prefer to use DosBox or real DOS instead. If Vista and 7 no longer allow that, then indeed it would be a problem.)

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 12:59:33 AM »
Yeah, I have Vista. And will be going Windows 7 soon. It wouldn't be a problem in Windows XP. Imagine playing roguelikes though in a tiny window that sits at the corner of your screen, covering one tenth of it. Colors all messed up, and horrible lag. It can be "solved" by decreasing resolution on the desktop, but that's not very cool either.

I use DOSbox. And even if it ran no problem in Windows, I might've still preferred my DOS-emulator.. :) It just feels so..cozy! DOS is so pure~ :D

george

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
I can't say I've ever liked tiles. It seems like an average tileset is much worse looking than an....average textmode set  ;). Really well done tiles are good but very rare IMO.

5v3nd0ttg

• Newcomer
  • Nate
    • MSN Messenger - p03tic5ickn355@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - p03tic5ickn355
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - p03tic5ickn355
    • View Profile
    • The Other Experiment Studio
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Though I submitted Isometric, it's truely more-or-less just a matter of my mood. I would suggest any developer to allow multiple graphical options to extend their reach amongst consumers/gamers interested in their particular genre.

Isometric is really just a guilty pleasure that brings me back to a great time in my youth.
Check out my artwork, photography, and video game projects at www.theoestudio.com.

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »
If there's one thing that roguelikes prove, it's that graphics are secondary to gameplay. Sometimes I find myself to be a fetishist for minimalist graphics (especially when my 13-year-old cousin is drooling to me over the latest in Halo explosions), but overall I really don't care too much about how the game looks. It's more about what the game is. IVAN's graphics, for instance, felt particularly well-crafted, while the various Shiren-type roguelikes from Japan tend to look silly and tacky to me.

Then again, I remember that quasi-roguelike arena game a while back that used letters for characters, but had realistic rainfall all around in the meanwhile. To me, the self-consciousness of that choice gave an understated sense of grandeur to the experience. I guess I feel in general that graphics, when a focus, should advance the game; if they can't, then they should at least be clear and undistracting.

sausage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:25 PM »
ASCII-Windows mostly.

Although I do play DF with a player-made tileset.

zzo38

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »
I prefer Text - DOS. (Or, using terminal emulation.) Some games have multiple mode but I use text-mode

K.I.L.E.R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 08:10:47 AM »
Tiles. I use Windows and I hate using the small console on my 27" monitor.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »
Dos or Windows, the only important things are:
1) Alt+Enter fullscreen is available
2) everythings is quick (I press a key -> the @ instantly moves there in a millisecond)

I ofter prefere the dos emulated version (for example, in Adom it works better IMO).
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »
Tiles. I use Windows and I hate using the small console on my 27" monitor.

Right-click on the top of the console window and choose Properties.  In there you can either choose to always have it full screen, or you can go to the Font tab and pick a larger Font.  Personally I use Lucida Console size 18, but you might want something a little bigger for your 27"  :)  When you exit it'll ask if you want to save these settings for future consoles - choose yes and it'll make all consoles the same in future.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
I ofter prefere the dos emulated version (for example, in Adom it works better IMO).

Linux version via ADOM Sage works even better, IIRC. (Possibly, no longer on Vista.)