Author Topic: Rogue Planets  (Read 19417 times)

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Rogue Planets
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »
This thread is for discussing my own game (Rogue Planets). For more information read the announcement here: http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=439.0
Version 1.2 will probably remain the final version unless some critical bug is found.

Either way, I'd really like to get some feedback.

Also can someone maybe add it to the database or even write a review on it?

I know it's really 'minimalistic' but if you give it some time you'll realize that it's much more skill-dependent and complex than it seems. It only got like 15 downloads so far and I know that 2 people got addicted (3 if I include myself), that's not too bad I guess. Nobody managed to clear it completely except me yet, though.

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Planets
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »
Nobody gave feedback, but hey, someone made a Rogue Basin article on my game, thanks to whoever did it. If you need more information about the game or about myself feel free to ask me.

The article kind of lacks the information on what makes the game special, though.

Maybe it should be added that it's a coffeebreak roguelike and can be played with one hand on keyboard, one hand holding the coffee, both hands on keyboard or one hand on keyboard one hand on mouse. Also I'd add that going stairs up and down will always bring you to the same coordinates on the other floor, so that a realistic 3D space is created.

Regarding the missing points:
Inspiration: Main inspiration was Phantasy Star II. It has a really complicated dungeon design which I never saw in any other game ever, but which I liked a lot and thought "Hey if this dungeon design could be created randomly, I'd have unlimited enjoyment". At the same time the battles in Phantasy Star II can be pretty tiresome, so instead I replaced them by a very fast paced playstyle that focuses on finding the correct way.
Programming language: I used C++ Builder, which is basically a mixture of C++ and Delphi.

Another special point about the game is that even the gameplay is probably one of the most simple gameplays in roguelikes it still requires a certain playing style which can be learned by playing. Each planet requires a completely different playing style as well to beat it. You'll noticed that you keep getting better each time you try it, even though in theory, there isn't much new things you learn except on how to play to get a perfect result.

Having read the article kind of made me so nostalgic. I really should release Wesmaze (my other roguelike) online, but I'm so lazy! XD

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »
Hello!

Once ago I registered at this board just to post feedback after playing few rounds of Rogue Planets. Unfortunately two obstacles prevented me from doing that.

First and foremost being a USENET guy I really loathe any kind of forums. Newsreader makes checking for new posts very easy. With forums I need to login to each board and check them separately wasting much time and energy.

Sencond thing when I registered system asked me to wait until my account is validated by an admin. This really broke down my morale. I got out of my way and decided to use inferior technology just to be turned away? Please wait?

I couln't find your email anywhere and just gave up at that point. Next stop was creating a small page at RogueBasin. I am pleased you liked it. I just finished expanding it using information you provided.

As for Rogue Planets itself it is a fun game. Problem is that it has no Linux version. I ran it under wine but it worked really bad on my older computer. Application screen refreshing significantly slowed every move degenerating gameplay to boring patient trudge. A native Unix version would really help. Now my machine is slightly better. It allows me play the game at twitch speed. Planets Bront and Holten are available to me now. :-)
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
I'm happy to hear, someone registered on these forums just for my game. :o
Unfortunately I can't do much in regards of forums being hard to access. By the way I usually use the "stay logged in forever" feature. I frequent several forums and on some I didn't have to log into for several years and can still post. On this forum I'm also permanently logged in.

Yeah sorry that it has no Linux version, but I use C++ Builder to develop my games and that doesn't support compiling for any OS other than Windows. :-/
Not to mention that I use standard windows elements, for all the graphics.

Usually it's not a problem because 'real' gamers always have at least one computer with Windows, but in the Roguelike community that's a bit different. :-)