Author Topic: Commercial RPG Project #1  (Read 7457 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Commercial RPG Project #1
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:43:44 AM »
Actual name not yet reckoned as there are many directions I can go with it, but it will boil down to a few factors aside from any surprises I manage to wrangle:

-Just myself to work on it, one-man business/corp/etc entity to be created far nearer to substantive things/demo/release timeframe.
-Closed-source/all rights to me for my doings/etc.  In the event of death and/or such out there bad circumstances, it would go Public Domain or some other highly Freedom oriented license.
-No DRM nonsense, likely just a simple key check or some such at the onset.
-2D turn based single player RPG
-"Completion" time variable from very short to potentially long depending.
-Single character to start at the very least with party play likely to come/hopeful for the onset as well.
-Highly unorthodox, especially so given that I've spent much time studying RPGs in general alongside Roguelikes.
-Long tail/Evergreen model intentioned with free content/fix updates and Expansion packs.  Relatively low priced.
-Digital Distribution only method imaginable
-Windows for target platform, though Mac/Linux cross-platform is a goal to be strived for in earnest as a wide net is an important thing to cast.
-Music/Sound source is TBD
-Visual source HAS been determined to be the eclectic Flame Painter and likely any potential subsequent packages from the same dev house that may come into being.
http://flame.escapemotions.com/
-Unless bad doings strike on any number of fronts, engine wise will be PyroGine http://pyrogine.com/index.php   I hope it all works, but if not, well, then there's the other ones in the "Plan" list.

Screens, bits of discussion on bits and pieces, and other snippets will happen in due course, but given that this is to be my first game----probably going to take quite some time and quite some doings.

This OP will get updated with things as they happen for clarity's sake, like the still unknown Audio solution and whatnot.

Will this match the general rules of what counts as a Roguelike?  Not so much.  Will it match the core spirit?  Pretty much.

Make an outlandish statement?  OK, by my reckoning this has the potential to cross into a realm beyond Roguelikes into something a bit different entirely from existing RPG implementations via growing out from core Roguelike sensibilities.  I have another project in mind that is more...traditional, in part, as far as ASCII( Yes...ASCII from me of all people...) Roguelike doings goes---that one would come a bit later as the foundation laid in this one would be pretty key as technically this more "Roguelike-like" one would be harder to do on account of things I've had to implement that would be outside the scope otherwise.  But that's for another topic many months from now....

Because this is just me with all these various things that need learning, things pretty much HAVE to lean in some odd directions in order for this to have a fighting chance of both completion and, I'd hope, relative success in finding a playerbase and income generation so as to help along the rest of Project Roguelike Renaissance.  Other things I'm theoretically supposed to help with while/before my crashing out on various fronts that still haven't recovered will hopefully still be managed to get snuck in a helped out with along the way---but definitely waaay less new things to come as I can only be so much at once---and even less competently at this stage....
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
Re: Commercial RPG Project #1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
goodluck shockfrost :P
--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Heh, my plan to avoid just becoming a Talkie is to showcase finer details as they happen, as opposed to just discuss them with nothing physically there on the hard drive to show for it.  That...and I kinda hope to avoid any situation like the one the Desktop Dungeon devs had to contend with in terms of clones and such to what degree I can.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
Great to know.
Good luck Getter!
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »
TL;DR.

Good luck anyway!