Author Topic: How I found Roguelikes  (Read 32076 times)

magellan

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How I found Roguelikes
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
Yeah, ascii is constant in quality (though one must not underestimate the impact of color choice!) while tiles vary between indecipherable and hard to tell what it is supposed to be.
But let me tell you a little story, how I really got hooked on Roguelikes.
I had this very, very, very boring job, and started playing ADOM to pass the time. Some folks wondered why I always had a DOS window open, a good part saw a black window, having no idea what a DOS window is, or would look like.  Nobody ever suspected I was actually playing a Game, despite me, on numerous occassions shouting with Joy or Frustration, making heads turn in the whole office.
I think thats another advantage of ASCII over Tiles.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »
Oddly enough I think I figured out another way to go about it with ASCII vs Graphical today in the shower---though I'll probably keep it under my hat until I can actually get something going so as to not appear a complete fool.  That or maybe I mentioned it in another topic awhile back and forgot about it.  Triangle Wizard is still among the greatest with the Animated ASCII stylings though----only one I can deal with to this day though i secretly hope some of these crazy things brewing with Doryen and the like somehow manage something to click in my head.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
A nice story, magellan :) I guess that the other  folks in your job were boring too, because otherwise they would be more interested in what are you doing. Yeah, I have heard that roguelikes are good at masquerading the fact of being a game (I have seen a bit similar post somewhere). Maybe it could be an interesting idea for a new abstract roguelike: one with a standard roguelike ASCII display, but designed to be extremely good at masquerading. That is, to look like working. Oh, or another weird idea: a roguelike in which you, for example, create programs, and they are indeed real programs, so if you are a professional programmer, you could actually (very inefficiently) work while playing.

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
While not technically roguelikes, there actually is some sort of "game" where you actually get to program your very own bots with a limited script language and then send them to combat other people's programs. Really looks like you're doing some coding.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 11:44:06 PM »
A good observation, but that's not what I wanted :) (I wanted a roguelike whose roguelike display looks like working.)

Hi

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:26 AM »
It would be fun ro take a chunk of what "work" is and run a markov chain on it to see what it looks like.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
A good observation, but that's not what I wanted :) (I wanted a roguelike whose roguelike display looks like working.)

Considering the wide variety of other themes people are working hard on right now, I'd reckon the odds are this will come about eventually for a 7drl competition.   :D
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training