Author Topic: The scariest room in Roguedom!?  (Read 24071 times)

Yyrkoon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
The scariest room in Roguedom!?
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:54:28 AM »
Any monster house at high levels is scary but I think the scariest room, or at least the one I dread the most...

Is...

The Greenhouse!!!  Some call it a Fungus House, but I picture a room that has had so much guano/refuse/carnage left in it that all these molds and fungai start growing.  Then throw in 30 or so levels below the earth and we start to see the death fungus.  While I havn't seen one recently.  I remember them fondly for murdering some of my best characters who were unfortunate enough to be piloted by me when my eyes were tired and not capable of distinguishing a grey period from a dark grey comma.

One thing is for sure.  Moria/Angband loves them.  Greenhouse levels are always superb.

Yyrkoon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The scariest room in Roguedom!?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
New Monster

Magic Death Mushroom

Combines the erradic behavior of the Magic mushroom with the deadlyness of the Death Fungus.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:03:27 AM »
I dunno if those are the most dangerous, but they're a shoe in for the most annoying.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
The Wall special level in DoomRL is also fuckin scaring!
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:18:42 PM »

Yes it is... all of the hell levels are too! you just rush to the stairs..

Yyrkoon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »

I'm going to have to try DoomRL.  To this day, the idea seems pretty much like Peanut Butter and Mayonaise.  Perfectly good items when used sepeartely, but not something you'd want to mix together.  However so many hardcore rogues are singing it's praises that there must be something extremely neat about it.

Anybody know if Cthangband ever got back on track?  I liked it early in it's development, but the last couple of times I DLd it, the game had devolved (IMO) into something that I couldn't get in to.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
Okay, I just realized:

The scariest place in Roguedom by far is any level between 16 and 26 in Rogue.  Tell me I'm wrong.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:02:01 AM »
I'm going to have to try DoomRL.  To this day, the idea seems pretty much like Peanut Butter and Mayonaise.  Perfectly good items when used sepeartely, but not something you'd want to mix together.  However so many hardcore rogues are singing it's praises that there must be something extremely neat about it

Believe me, I had the SAME feeling before trying it!
But now it's one of my favourite game EVER, and I just can't stop playing it once in a while.
Try it and have a good time with it :)
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »
The scariest place in Roguedom by far is any level between 16 and 26 in Rogue.  Tell me I'm wrong.

You are damn right... they beat the hell levels at doom! :)

Gravecat

• Newcomer
  • Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
    • MSN Messenger - gravecat@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gravecat666
    • View Profile
    • Gravecat: Blogging Like It's 1999
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Believe me, I had the SAME feeling before trying it!
But now it's one of my favourite game EVER, and I just can't stop playing it once in a while.
Try it and have a good time with it :)

Seconded. :) It seemed like a terrible idea when I first heard of it, but it's actually executed quite superbly. It really surprised me. :)

Getting back on topic: I've never actually played Rogue (I know, I know...) and so being the reckless fool I am, I'm going to just vote for pretty much any of the monster pits in Angband. Nothing quite like stumbling blindly through a dungeon with a huge, stupid happy face before stumbling into a room full of bloodthirsty beasts. On the upside, I learned what it feels like to be a piƱata.
My goals in life include world domination, buying a really cool hat, and travelling back in time in order to warn myself not to eat that potato salad.
SUDD: An all-new sci-fi/fantasy roguelike in the making!